Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Am I crazy?

purpleBunny9255 February 28th, 2021

I don’t want to leave my boyfriend. We’ve been together for 7 years but I want to move forward and get married and have kids. He used to talk about doing those things but now he doesn’t want any commitments or obligations. He says he doesn’t want kids for another 7 years. I don’t think I can wait that long to have kids I’m ready now and I’m committed to this relationship that getting married seems more like a formality but it is something important to me. I don’t know what to do? I could wait it out and hope he changes his mind or I could leave him and still have to wait years for the things I want because I’d have to find and get to know a new person. To end my commitment because I want a commitment. Either road seems to lead to disappointment.

unassumingCherry1035 February 28th, 2021

I’m in a similar situation so feel your heartache. I’m at the crossroads of where I don’t want to get years down the line and the situation doesn’t change. Sometimes the short term pain we may have to go through is worth it to pave long term happiness?

KatherineOnyx February 28th, 2021

@purpleBunny9255

This sounds like a tough position to be in, I would personally want to talk with my partner more about this before I made a decision.

I would want to understand why he doesn't want to have kids or what is holding him back from wanting to have kids. Maybe he's concerned about being a good father, or about health issues that might be caused by pregnancy. Maybe he would be more open to the idea of adopting or he might want to babysit some young children to get some practice before the real thing. He might be concerned about finances with children or marraige.Maybe he wants to wait until you are in a better financial position for these things which is why he is asking you to wait.

I know my partner has a lot of trouble putting his feelings into words, so it might be good to ask him these big questions about why he feels the way that he does and give him time to put together a response.

I would also want to explain to him why marriage is so important to you and why it doesn't just feel like a formality. What it is that you want from being married? And why you are excited about having kids now/soon rather than later?

I think it's important to figure out the specifics of what you want and why you want those things, and communicate that with your partner. I also think its important to understand why he wants the things he wants. Hopefully having more information will help you figure out what to do.

Feel free to message me or chat with another listener about this for more support.

purpleBunny9255 OP February 28th, 2021

The only response when I asked why he wants to wait 7 more years was because he wants to be a young adult without obligations. But nothing specific