Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Stressed about pregnancy

I took my last birth control pill last night. I am absolutely beside myself. I've always wanted a family, but the thought of actually working towards that is terrifying to me! Please tell me this is a normal reaction. After years of wanting this, I don't know if I am ready anymore.

@dapperPomegranate4996 It's normal. I had the same roller coaster feeling. Ultimately, it will work out how it was intended to.

toughTiger6481 July 2nd

@dapperPomegranate4996

yes it is a normal reaction... the IDEA of having a baby and excitement of the prospect does not equal being less stressed about pregnancy.

in fact i think many who are planning a pregnancy are often stressed more are they most likely studied all the what ifs and that would of course make many question if they are ready .... 

BlossomGirvan July 3rd

@dapperPomegranate4996

Thank you for sharing how you’re feeling. It's completely normal to experience a mix of emotions when taking a big step like stopping birth control with the intention of starting a family. You're not alone in feeling this way. I am 33 and have no children...

Many people feel both excitement and fear when they’re about to embark on this journey. It’s a huge life change, and it’s natural to have doubts and worries. Here are a few things to keep in mind that might help ease your anxiety:

1. Mixed Emotions Are Normal: It’s okay to feel both thrilled and terrified. Wanting something for a long time and then facing the reality of it can bring up a lot of different emotions. Acknowledge these feelings without judgment.

2. Take It One Step at a Time: You don’t have to have everything figured out right away. Focus on the present and take things one step at a time. Give yourself permission to adjust to this new phase gradually.

3. Talk About Your Feelings: Share your thoughts and feelings with your partner, friends, or a trusted confidant. Sometimes, just talking about your fears can help alleviate them. It can also help to hear that others have felt the same way.

4. Self-Compassion: Be kind to yourself. It’s okay to have doubts and to feel uncertain. This doesn’t mean you’re not ready or that you won’t be a great parent. It simply means you’re human.

5. Educate Yourself: Sometimes fear comes from the unknown. Educating yourself about the process of trying to conceive, pregnancy, and parenthood can help make the unknown feel more manageable.

6. Professional Support: If your anxiety feels overwhelming, consider talking to a therapist. They can provide tools and strategies to help manage your fears and support you through this transition.

Remember, feeling unsure doesn't mean you're not ready. It's a sign that you care deeply about this decision and want to approach it thoughtfully. Trust in yourself and your ability to adapt and grow. You’ve got this, and whatever comes, you’ll handle it one step at a time.

You’re not alone in this journey. Many people feel exactly what you’re feeling right now. Give yourself grace, and trust that your feelings will settle as you move forward.