Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How to help someone

Priscella July 29th

So me and my ex broke up but we’ve been talking like once a day but he’s not ok. I still care for him so I want to check in on him. I’m doing better after the breakup but he isn’t. Before we broke up he did attempt and he’s upset because no one truly understands him and I said you’re right no one will truly understand you but there’s people you can talk to and resources out there to get better. When we were together he didn’t believe in like therapy and stuff and still refuses to go. I’ve sent him the hotline number so he has it if anything. I know people will say if he doesn’t wanna get better I can only do so much but I love him and care DEEPLY for him. He told me to not talk to him if I don’t have the answer to help him I guess? But I don’t wanna one day get a call saying he passed away. I’m gonna start the process this week to get insurance from the state so I can see a therapist. I know I shouldn’t have this weight on me but I want too and I wanna help him as much as I can. It’s a bit stressful and it does cause some anxiety but I’m trying to be a good friend to him and want him to be ok again and to get a job again and get his life going. I know he has one close friend but idk if they know how he is. I’m afraid I’m the only one he’s ever truly opened up too and I want him to be ok :/

iPHOENIX July 29th

@Priscella

I understand how challenging this must be for you. It’s evident how much you care for your ex and want to support him, even though it’s a heavy burden to bear. It’s tough knowing he’s struggling and feeling misunderstood, especially after his attempt to harm himself. It’s great that you’ve provided him with the hotline number and tried to encourage him to seek help, even if he isn’t open to therapy right now.

You’re right that there’s only so much you can do, but your love and concern for him are clear. It’s important to remember to take care of yourself too, and it’s good to hear that you’re starting the process to see a therapist. Your well-being matters just as much.

If you ever need someone to talk to, please feel free to reach out to me or any other active listener here on 7 Cups. We're here to support you through this difficult time. You’re doing your best, and that’s all anyone can ask of you.