Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How to better communicate

Priscella September 7th

Hello I have issues communicating with my partner, I tend to try to ignore the conversation or put it off and it’s causing strain. I know I have to just try but it’s hard. I’m emotional and I’ve had this issue for years. Any help? Thank you

WhiteAura9 September 10th

@Priscella

Thank you for reaching out and sharing this with me. It sounds like you’re experiencing a challenging situation, and I want you to know that it’s okay to feel the way you do. Communication in relationships can be incredibly difficult, especially when emotions run high or when it’s a pattern that’s been there for a while.

First, it’s really important to acknowledge that this is a common struggle and that wanting to improve it is a significant step forward. One approach might be to start with small, manageable conversations. Setting aside a little time each day to talk about less emotionally charged topics could help build your confidence and make discussions feel less daunting.

It could also be helpful to express your feelings to your partner about how you find communication challenging. This might foster understanding and create a supportive environment where both of you can work together on this.

Additionally, finding ways to manage your emotions before engaging in a conversation—like deep breathing, journaling, or seeking support from a counselor—might make it easier to approach discussions more calmly.

Remember, change takes time, and being kind to yourself through this process is crucial. You're already taking a positive step by seeking help, and that’s something to be proud of. If you’d like, exploring these feelings further with a professional could provide additional strategies and support tailored to your specific situation.

WhiteAura9 September 10th

@Priscella

It sounds like you’re really struggling with communication in your relationship, and I can understand how challenging that must be. It’s commendable that you recognize the need to address this issue, and I want to support you in finding ways to improve this aspect of your relationship.

Communication can be particularly difficult when emotions are involved, especially if it’s something you’ve been dealing with for a long time. Here are a few things to consider that might help:

1. What specifically makes communication difficult for you?

Identifying what feels challenging about these conversations might help in finding targeted strategies to address it.

2. Have you noticed any particular triggers or situations that make it harder for you to engage in these discussions?

Understanding what sets off your avoidance can be a step toward managing it more effectively.

3. Are there times when you find it easier to communicate? 

Recognizing these moments can help in creating a more supportive environment when difficult conversations are necessary.

4. Would it be helpful to set aside specific times for these conversations, where both of you can prepare and approach the discussion with a calm mindset? 

Sometimes scheduling these talks can make them feel more manageable.

5. Have you and your partner considered working with a counselor together?

Sometimes, having a neutral third party can facilitate more effective communication and help both of you feel heard.

Remember, it’s okay to take small steps and to seek support. Improving communication is a process, and it’s important to be patient with yourself. Your willingness to address this is a positive step forward, and there are resources and strategies available to help you both navigate this challenge.