Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Advice?

rhodawoolf September 12th, 2023

I'm kind of freaking out over a dating app. For context, I have anxiety and it's usually pretty bad in social situations.

Lately I've been hung up on a guy I was seeing a few months ago. My friends convinced me that I should download a dating app and see what's there to get over him.

It's been two days and I've responded to one person. But I kind of hated and I want to delete. But I feel like I should let this person know and I don't know how without being annoying?

If anyone has experience on dating apps, pls give me your thoughts!!

toughTiger6481 September 13th, 2023

@rhodawoolf

I have not used any dating apps personally but have heard many a story. I do not think using a dating app helps in getting over someone . as you might compare all to the person you were with before...

it seems quite frustrating as all descriptions seem generic and only a photo to base an attraction and what if they are a big jerk... my greatest romances were with people on the surface i might not had swiped on if was an app ... how do you convey sense of humor / charm and genuine kindness. my spouse although some thought was good looking i did NOT at first it was his charm that when i looked again i saw something i did not see at first and would not have seen on a app.

after a breakup getting in touch with yourself before shopping for a new relationship.

rhodawoolf OP September 13th, 2023

@toughTiger6481

Thank you for your advice. Yes, you're right, it was definitely not the right step to go on an app, at least at this moment. Generally, I don't think they're for me either.

I really want to delete it and get on with my life, but I've also heard people complain about others ghosting them. So I wonder how I can step out of the app without being rude to the person I was speaking to

Brightlook57 September 13th, 2023

Just be honest

rhodawoolf OP September 17th, 2023

Thanks @Brightlook57

I actually explained how I was feeling and this person was very nice and understanding. He even thanked me for letting him know why I was leaving. So it all turned out alright!

minstaccato September 14th, 2023

@rhodawoolf

hello! i've personally never used a dating apps before, but yes there were times that i tried to get over someone, and in most cases it doesn't work if i moved on from someone by trying to like someone else.

what i prefer to do instead would be to switch the energy from the other person, then direct it to myself instead. go to the gym, or channeling it off on a journal. i find that it helps a lot more for me!😊

rhodawoolf OP September 17th, 2023

@minstaccato

Thank you for your advice! I will definitely invest in myself as much as I can