Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Reconsider my friendship

alexxx12 July 21st, 2020

Hi there! I'm new to this forum.

These days my mind is filled with second thoughts about my friendships. I'm in a small group of friends, we're classmates and we've known each other for 4 years, but we got closer only a year ago. I've shared lots of things about my life, including my anxiety disorder, with them, and I consider them my "best friends". We have a group chat where we plan to hang out or just check in to see if we're doing well; the thing is,lately, whenever I text them and ask them to hang out, no one texts back, or they reply after days, saying that they're busy.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I can call them my "best" friends, I feel like I'm the only one caring about this group; plus, I always get crazy anxious when I'm about to text them, because deep down I know they won't reply or they're with other people.

I'm starting to believe that it's all a lie: I feel like they've never cared about me, they stayed with me because I was alone in my class, broken and hurt. I'm still healing, and I know I need to move on and make new friends but it's hard; on the other hand, I still care about them. Any suggestions?

sensibleMaple1853 July 22nd, 2020

Hello! I'm sorry to hear that you feel undervalued in your friendship, that can really hurt because it's easy to blame yourself during times like this. Whenever I have trouble in my relationships I always ask myself if those things were happening to another person, and they told me about it, would I still feel bad/indecisive? Or, to put in more clearly, if your friend came to you and told you that they feel the same way you do about another friend (fictonal), and that the other friend was doing the same thing to them as they are to you, what would you say to them?

In friendships like all realationships sometimes you have to be a friend to yourself too.

alexxx12 OP July 22nd, 2020

@sensibleMaple1853 thank you so much for your advice! That really opened my eyessmiley