Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Losing a friend of over 10 years because of her S.O.

CuriousHippo January 13th, 2020

Known her for a more than a decade; she dated my best friend and we've all stayed good friends since their breakup in 2010.

She's dating this guy right now, and she's removed all of us on Facebook and blocked our numbers because he doesn't want her to be friends with men.

So now the only time I can see and talk with her is if I stop by the shop she works in, and any time she sees me outside of there she acts like I'm a stranger so he doesn't find out that we know each other.

To me, this is a HUUUUUGE red flag, but I don't know how to air my concerns to her.

Any advice on what I should do?

kitkat349 January 14th, 2020

@CuriousHippo oh ok well it does happen friendships change sadly not sure if you can do much about it but to move on find people who will stick by your side and not leave a friendship due to a boyfriend i had someone do that to me in college my freshman year it honestly really hurt but i moved on i don't talk to this person anymore.

CuriousHippo OP January 14th, 2020

@kitkat349

It'd be one thing if we were drifting apart; but the fact he's told her she's not allowed to be friends with anybody that's male seems concerning to me. Not to mention she still always wants me to visit at her work, but has to pretend I'm a stranger in front of the guy in question.

I'm just worried for her, and just wondering if it's any cause for concern.

EmeraldOwl2459 January 14th, 2020

I would consider this cause for concern. Jealousy has no place in a healthy relationship, and her S.O. definitely has severe jealousy problems if he won't let her have male friends.

Downside is, I don't know that there's anything you can do. She would have to decide for herself not to put up with a guy this insecure and domineering. Be her friend as far as you can, since it sounds like she doesn't really want to cut you loose. Hopefully she realizes she can do better than this guy.