Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Just looking for some friends...

MuchAdoAboutNothing January 15th, 2019

... to chat with, talk about what we like, what's going on in our lives, to be silly with... As long as you have things you're passionate about we should be able to get along so pm me any time please!

intellectualCake2979 January 15th, 2019

@MuchAdoAboutNothing,

Are you a fan of Shakespeare by any chance? :) Having in mind your nickname.....😊What are your hobbies or preferences?What do you want to talk about?Favourite topics?

MuchAdoAboutNothing OP January 15th, 2019

@intellectualCake2979

I don't particularly like Shakespeare or theater (except musicals tough). I just saw that play by accident and loved it, the only one so far. What kind of things do you like?

intellectualCake2979 January 18th, 2019

@MuchAdoAboutNothing,

I've seen this play,too and it's fun to watch,not at all like his tragedies :)But I was invited to see " King Lear" Wednesday night,it was a performance by London National Theatre,they showed it on the big screen at the cinema,like a movie ,two acts with an interval of twenty minutes .Shakespeare is very dark with his tragedies,reminds me of some things about narcissism and co-dependency issues,mental issues,character and personality disorders,you know.I don't really watch a lot of TV,I usually watch you tube videos about narcissism and people who help victims of narcissistic abuse,I am very much interested in astrology,so that's what I learn about a lot!I just love MJ 's music,a huge fan of his and Tina Turner as well .I pretty much use music as a way of relaxing and it's a big thing with me,could listen to it for hours and hours,also I listen to guided meditations online,they are awesome,I fall asleep immediately!I like English a lot and work really hard on improving it,it's my pride :)I 've studied Spanish and Russian,too and my native language,that makes four languages that I can use to communicate,not bad come to think of it.Don't mean to brag about it but it just turned out this way!I like walking to keep fit !What are you into?

MuchAdoAboutNothing OP January 19th, 2019

@intellectualCake2979

I know what you mean. I'm french and I pride myself on having a good english vocabulary. I can't talk about that with other french people because then they think I'm snoby even though reading books in english is just something I enjoy.

I love going to the movies and I always think I should watch more plays and ballet. Not sure I would enjoy it but I'm curious and I'd like to know more. When I read a play I always feel frustrated because I feel like I'm missing half of it. I've never really learned how to read them properly so everything that's hinted at I'm missed, like I know there was a joke there but I'm totally missing it.

I really like books, comics, video games, tv shows and movies. Everything needy basically. Right now I'm reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I'm pretty sure there was a movie a few years back but I haven't seen it. The book is great though.

intellectualCake2979 January 19th, 2019

@MuchAdoAboutNothing,

I feel pretty much the same way when I read plays or poetry,for example. :)Theatrical performances are a little different because the acting somehow contributes to the overall understanding of the play for me.Still, I seem to think I need special skills to read drama and poetry and,since I haven't practised such skills ,I can't see the meaning there,if that makes sense to you.

I can get what you mean by saying people find you snobby or showing off your language skills.What some of them don't understand is the reason behind this and I know for me a skill,no matter whether a language or something else is a thing a person should be respected for since it takes perseverance,time and effort to do it.A skill has to be improved,perfected etc,generally speaking making an effort to master it.To others it can come off as bragging but me,personallye,I do it because I am passionate about it. If you enjoy doing it and use it to further develop your knowledge,it's always worth it.

Withlanguages it's even better,because speaking a language gives you a whole new perspective into a whole new world of culture,traditions,an outlook on life etc.Language is not just vocabulary and grammar,it's as if you become a member of a new community that you become familiar with.I never get tired of brushing up my English and I learn new things almost every day,talk to people of all nationalities,get to know how they feel about things,share thoughts and ideas.I feel like a part of a larger whole.

I don't watch a lot of TV,to be honest with you.Haven't watched the news in my language for years :).I just watch CNN and since my son is fluent in English as well,it works for both of us.I enjoy going to the cinema,though and recently have been there with two American co-workers whom I enjoy spending time with because they are fun to be with and I love speaking English.They are way younger than me but we get along pretty well and meet to eat out,hang out in the mail or go to the cinema.I saw "A star is born" with Lady Gaga and also "Bohemian Rhapsody"(the latter I saw twice).I am a huge fan of MJ,Tina Turner,Queen.I love listening to music - it's my favourite way of relaxing!I also listen to guided mediations online -it's a big thing for me to fight stress and anxiety.

@MuchAdoAboutNothing,

I guess with plays and poetry i's not so much a question of reading skills but more letting your feelings guide you ,words that evoke a particular image related to a feeling.Writers want to convey their emotions through language.

What do you like about the book you are reading now?

January 18th, 2019

@MuchAdoAboutNothing

You had me at ‘to be silly with. Im craving for some friends too. If only members can chat with each other privately, but I guess this will do. Anyway, anything that makes you happy and alive right now?

@fictionjunkie

Well,actually members here can chat privately :)There is a message apps on this site that helps you to send messages to someone like emails,so you might as well use it!