Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I feel trapped in a friendship

Lostguy21 December 11th, 2022

So I'm friends with this guy who lives pretty far away, we "met" on Twitter a few years ago and last summer he stayed w me and my family and that was cool but now we mostly communicate over text. I've recently started to feel really irritated whenever I talk to him, and I think it's because I feel trapped.

There was a time before when I told him we shouldn't be friends anymore because I felt like I wasn't able to be authentic with him and he got really emotional and begged me to keep being his friend and said I was one of his only friends and he didn't know what he'd do without me. So basically the main reason I'm still friends with him is guilt... and now I'm starting to resent feeling like I have no choice but to interact with him. I mean technically I do have a choice but I couldn't stop talking to him without feeling awful about it. I don't know what to do.

yuseiz6 December 11th, 2022

I have no advice. I can understand what you are saying because I am on the end of your situation. Obviously you seem like a nice person so is there any common ground you can find? Is it still a long distance friendship?

adaptableHouse7641 December 12th, 2022

Communicate that to him 🤷‍♀️ In any relationship there should be respect and recognition and if you feel neither of those it doesn't make any sense. You being resentful will only hurt him in the long run. The most merciful thing you can do is be honest and end the friendship. He'll be hurt at first but later on he'll come to realize that you did the right thing. It's better to server ties with integrity than drag something on. Good luck!

Communicate that to him 🤷‍♀️ In any relationship there should be respect and recognition and if you feel neither of those it doesn't make any sense. You being resentful will only hurt him in the long run. The most merciful thing you can do is be honest and end the friendship. He'll be hurt at first but later on he'll come to realize that you did the right thing. It's better to server ties with integrity than drag something on. Good luck!

Communicate that to him. In any relationship there should be respect and recognition and if you feel neither of those it doesn't make any sense. You being resentful will only hurt him in the long run. The most merciful thing you can do is be honest and end the friendship. He'll be hurt at first, but later on he'll come to realize that you did the right thing. It's better to server ties with integrity than drag something on. Good luck!

Communicate that to him. In any relationship there should be respect and recognition and if you feel neither of those it doesn't make any sense. You being resentful will only hurt him in the long run. The most merciful thing you can do is be honest and end the friendship. He'll be hurt at first, but later on he'll come to realize that you did the right thing. It's better to server ties with integrity than drag something on. Good luck!

Communicate that to him. In any relationship there should be respect and recognition and if you feel neither of those it doesn't make any sense. You being resentful will only hurt him in the long run. The most merciful thing you can do is be honest and end the friendship. He'll be hurt at first, but later on he'll come to realize that you did the right thing. It is better to server ties with integrity than drag something on. Good luck!