Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I am not a mother...

Caysea1989 October 14th, 2015

But I have to take care of my roommate who is three years younger than I am. He seriously thinks that it is my job to clean up after him and provide him with food and clean clothes. He mooches off of my boyfriend and I. We have to scold him about his actions... we have to deal with his temper tantrums.... It's unbelievable. Yet he thinks he has more say in my home than I do. We can't kick him out because of a deal made with him and my boyfriend... I can't handle it. I have way too much stress and other things to deal with. What do I do?!

WickedGrim October 14th, 2015

You're not his mother, so why are you babying him? He's a fully capable adult, yes? What would happen if you stop treating him like a kid, would he flounder..or would it be the wake up call he needs to get his life together? I don't know, but naturally if you take that course, allot for some "tantrum" throwing time on his part. Also, have you tried sitting down and having a stern talking to with him? Boyfriend present, of course, and speaking, not nagging or using "you don't this" or "you don't that" language. but respectfully, as you'd want to be addressed if the roles were switched?

JoyCS October 14th, 2015

Does the deal you made include feeding him and cleaning after him? Probably not. Any deal can be broken, just calculate the cost. Myself or another listener on 7 Cups can give you a sympathetic ear as you work through your options.

Caysea1989 OP October 14th, 2015

Before my boyfriend took him in, he was squatting in empty apartments or living in his car. He would be right back in that spot if we were to kick him out. He has even said before that he doesn't care to live that way. He has no drive. All he wants to do is smoke weed and play video games all day. If we try to talk to him about anything he throws a fit and storms off and slams his door--- much like a child.my boyfriend found him a car, and a job, and put a roof over his head... A place where he can bring HIS child to spend time with him. My boyfriend's car is in the roommate's name due to some things that my boyfriend still needs to take care of (it's a long story but it involves a ton of money). The roommate has that over him. He knows he's needed. So until all of that is squared away... We are stuck with him.

JoyCS October 14th, 2015

@Caysea1989 Well, it looks like you know what to do, get the car issue squared away, as you say. Then make the next step without that particular complication distracting you.

Caysea1989 OP October 14th, 2015

Easier said than done though. Getting all of it taken care of has nothing to do with me. I have to just sit back and wait.

JoyCS October 14th, 2015

@Caysea1989 Sitting back and waiting is hard! And frustrating! One way to release all that frustration is to have a one-on-one chat with a listener :) Or join an appropriate discussion/support room on this forum.