Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Dealing with guilt

yellowCranberry6529 June 21st, 2015

Hi all. I'm just in need of and curious about how others deal with guilt in general. Thank you!

decembernight0608 June 21st, 2015

Me personally I don't deal with guilt to well. It would literally eat away at me so I try and avoid situations that make me feel guilty and if I do I would honestly apologize a hundred times.

Roadie June 22nd, 2015

hi @yellowCranberry6529

That is a very interesting question to be honest and to answer, in my opinion at least, guilt can have both positives and negatives.

When I was growing up, I struggled with eating but I always felt guilty about not eating my school lunch because of the effort that my mother went through in preparing it. In this example, it's a positive thing. It's our conscience talking to us and in turn guiding us to doing right by other people because, in many cases, guilt involves others.

But you need to be wary of using guilt for the wrong reasons. Making others feel guilty for you over the guilt that you are carrying. Using guilt as a passive-aggressive way of getting to other people is another negative form of guilt.

Personally, I try to think of the reasons that I feel certain ways and work with how my mind works rather than forcing myself to "cope" with guilt or "work around" guilt. If i feel guilty, what is my unconscious mind trying to tell me and is that fair & reasonable?

I hope this helps :/

azureCup2140 June 27th, 2015

Hello yellowCranberry6529

It depends on what caused the feeling of guilt I think. It can be small like accidentally knocking over someones drink. In that case it is simple for me, I appologize and offer to buy a new drink.

But I also have some terrible experience with guilt. I prefer not to go into detail here, but I did something which hurt someones feelings. I never got blamed for it (not even by the person whose feelings got hurt), but I lived feeling guilty about it anyway for more than 10 years. I had therapy to get over the feeling of guilt about that. From that experience I strongly recommend people not to wait years to get help.