Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Should I let go first?

littlelonely236 September 25th, 2022

My good friend confessed that he is very in love with me last month. I don't love him back. There is no chance for us to be together at all due to some circumstances. Even without those circumstances, I do not share the same feeling as him.

I care for him as a friend. I don't want to add in more pain to the pain he is feeling now. He told me that he is very very afraid to lose me as a friend. I told him that we need to gradually communicate less so that he can have time to process the grief, and reduce his feeling of needing me. He begged me not to do it. He wanted us to stay as we are. To be honest, it hurts me to see him going through this pain and worry of losing me.

Should I do the "communicate less with him" plan or should I just "let him go and cease all communication" with him for a few months until he has gotten over his infatuation of me? To be honest, to do the latter is difficult for me too as I do enjoy his friendship. But I am not sure if I am even helping when I continue communicating with him (albeit being less).

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you.

DoubleA2004 September 25th, 2022

It seems that you’re in the toughest predicament known to man. And I don’t think there’s a good answer to your question. In this situation, I say follow your mind and heart. Do what you believe is best. Because there is no right answer to this situation. I genuinely wish you the best of luck. Keep us updated on the situation!

littlelonely236 OP September 26th, 2022

@DoubleA2004, thank you so much for your view on this. I really appreciate that you take time to reply.

Today, he told me his feelings towards me is still the same, despite some reduction in our communication. So I don't know what is the next step or if I will achieve anything from reducing/ceasing communication with him. I don't think he can "unlove" me, until a very long time, and I don't want to be out of touch with him for too long too. Argh, dilemma!