Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Am I enough?

LoverOfTheOcean November 29th, 2022

So we've only been together since June, and at first everything was going well. Lately we've been having issues. I'm not very good at communication, and he's pointed out that he needs clear communication multiple times. Which makes sense and I agree, and I'm working really hard to get better at my communication skills. Though, for me, it feels like the efforts that I make are not enough for him. Like he's told me that he does see me taking steps forward. But for me it somehow doesn't feel like it's enough. Like I'm not growing fast enough. Like I'm not enough.

He's also said that I lied about my mental health, even though I sometimes don't realize I've had bad mental health days. Especially when I'm feeling happy. But yes, I deeply regret not telling him about it though. And it's affecting our relationship in a bad way. And I don't want to lose him.

Now it's gotten to the point where we both agreed to take a step back. Like seeing eachother less. We love each other very much, but we both are dealing with our own mental health. Which makes things slighly harder. For the record, he's had traumatic experiences and I've never really been diagnosed for anything, but am not feeling very well lately. Like I get intrusive thoughts and wanting something bad to happen to me. And the days getting darker earlier doesn't do me very well either.

Thing is, I feel like he's pushing me away, like he doesn't love me anymore. He's being distant. And he told me that that's what happens when he gets really depressed, but he's also told me that he doesn't want to do that. Which messes with my head a lot. But honestly, I hope we can work it out. I miss him everyday I don't see or talk to him.

MidwesternCalmSeeker December 3rd, 2022

@LoverOfTheOcean

I hear you, and you are enough. You state that you don't feel well but have no diagnosis. Perhaps if you spoke with someone, like your doctor or a therapist, you would get some some answers that you seek. Relationships are seldom easy all of the time, and if you love one another, the time you spend getting to a good place mentally will only make that relationship stronger across time. Take care, Ocean. I wish you all good things as you move forward on this healing journey.