Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Needing support and encouragement

FindingPeace2015 November 17th, 2014

I am filing for divorce today. I lost my gumption for a long time but I finally got it back and realized that I don't deserve to be walked on. Yesterday I walked in on my husband's girlfriend naked in my bed. He told me he didn't love or care about me and he couldn't bring himself to care when he hurts me. I still love him...but it's time to save myself. So today when I walk into the court house to get the divorce papers and restraining order, I might need the extra push. I know I need to do this, but it's not easy.

EIB94 November 17th, 2014

FindingPeace2015,

Today will be and will always remain as a significant event in your life, for obvious reasons. What we often do is avoid taking inventory of our current place in life because, as you explained, we have lost the gumption to do so, or it can be that we are afraid of reality and change is not something we welcome if it is uncomfortable.

You have decided to go forward with the beginning of the process, what other thoughts have you discussed with either yourself or others? If I might be so bold as to suggest creating a roadmap of sorts, like you would do for a shopping trip, or vacation. Keep in mind this will change, at times not as much but at other times it will change quite often. The point I am making here is that so long as we have a plan, even a last minute plan, there is a point of reference we can build upon. So it sounds like you have a solid plan, and you sound committed to it; so what would stop you from doing it today versus what has stopped you in the past? What is different from the past that you have changed now? In these questions I think you will find that you have changed and will discover that you already have the extra push to go forward.

In saying you need to save yourself you have made a profound statement of what is important now versus then, again you have decided it is time for change and again this also becomes another extra push to move forward. So I think you have the extra push and you are comfortable with moving forward as well.

Please feel free to keep us updated if you like, and I encourage you to in continuing to change and embrace change.

v/r

EIB94