Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Hurting

ChaiTeal September 28th, 2022

Hi,

My boyfriend of 13 years recently walked out on our relationship. I just feel like I meant nothing to him and when times got 'Too much' for him he just gave up. I've recently been trying to heal from CPTSD as I had a pretty traumatic past and got triggered badly two years ago and ended up being hospitalized from a phychotic breakdown. I even started going therapy, taking antidepressants and reaching out for whatever support I could get.

In the past I'd do things just to make him happy and make him feel appreciated and valued but I didn't get that from him. He couldn't even listen to me when I tried communicating how I felt. I didn't want him to fix me, just to listen but he often said he didn't have the time, was too busy or checking work emails, walking off mid conversation.I ended up emotionally shutting down and he would get frustrated at the lack of sex but he knows my past and because of the lack of emotional intimacy I was respecting my boundaries. Now he's walked away, I just feel so hurt, like I'm not worth anything to him for him to just walk away like that. I feel I've always been supportive and listened to him and tried to help him with his issues. I know I have my issues and could probably have done more too and not isolate but I had so much anger and resentment and anxiety around him I didn't know how to manage and a lack of motivation to keep up with house work. But I still tried. Even asking him to come for walks but he didn't want that.

I feel maybe it's my fault because I put my value into him and I ended up losing myself and feeling unhappy. I don't want to get back with him because I am realizing how unhealthy and toxic our relationship was and all the hurtful words he said to me and I'm learning I don't deserve that but it's hard as it hurts, I'm angry and I'm confused 😔

I can also understand that it's difficult for him too but I still feel he could have been more supportive.

toughTiger6481 September 29th, 2022

@ChaiTeal

You are not alone there are many partners out there just like you describe.... they love the attention and having their needs met but cannot put in the slightest effort to meet even the basic need of listening

my spouse asks how my day is but NEVER listens i do not answer because he has literally walked away when i ma talking mid sentence...... i too have lost myself trying to appease him and it simply is NOT worth it.

find someone who respects you and is a partner

millipede03 September 29th, 2022

That's how most people are unfortunately but there all people that value others and put so much effort into love and making the other person happy. Dont give up were I hope you find someone who truly loves you and shows their love for you and respects you. I know your hurting rn and I understand that feeling because I had a traumatic past but it will get better. Right now work on your mental and emotional health no one should ever feel constantly drained in a relationship you need it. I hope you feel better hugs💜💜