Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Broken Promises

Klevergal March 27th, 2021

Elderly newlywed husband of two years has physically begun his threat to abandon me with notifying his family of future departure, getting a PO Box, and desperate for his portion of the Stimulus payment whenever it arrives into my bank. He wants his freedom which actually means find a new partner; I didn't know him well enough or long enough before our wedding to realize he changes mates often. I am struggling with his lies and broken promises.

carambole March 27th, 2021

Oh no. He notified his family, but not you? I am so sorry that this is happening to you. Please remind yourself that he has the problem, not you. If he runs away when he feels "trapped" or "engulfed", there is not much that you can do to salvage the marriage. The more you try to get close to him and reassure him, the more he'll feel that you are trying to control him. He's still like a broken little child inside. Take care of yourself, prepare your heartbreak, make a list of positive things that you might do if he breaks up. Come and visit us, you are not alone.

Klevergal OP April 6th, 2021

@carambole

Thank you! This is exactly what my counselor has said ... almost word for word. It's not my fault, it's "all about him" and he denies it. He is acting like a child and running scared even though he says he will try, he isn't trying to make things better. He refuses to seek counseling from professionals, just unhealthful advice from his sister ... "Do what you got to do!" Some help she is. He drove away for two hours and tells me it's none of my business where he goes or what he does. I have an appt with a lawyer tomorrow to protect myself legally.