Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Writing advice

gentleSail2728 April 25th, 2022

I have a really cool story I want to write, but I'm not sure on how to plot out the story before writing it.

Any tips?

GenerousWillow94 April 26th, 2022

If you have a really solid idea, my advice is to look up a few common themes for stories and then play around with fitting your idea to a theme. Like say the theme is an adventure/quest where the protagonist is searching for something; see if your idea could be stretched to fit that theme. Honestly, plotting can be optional too. I've often just had an idea, started writing and found that a plot naturally came along sometime later. I have notebooks filled with about 8-9 different revisions of the same idea with various plots that felt like they were going to work and then didnt. The main thing is to have fun and write what you enjoy and want to read :)

MistyMagic May 1st, 2022

@gentleSail2728 I use a writing software. There are plenty to choose from and most will have parts for chapters and characters and then it can all be pieced together. Or use a brain map, start with a circle and then point in all the characters and timings and main events.

IGTVHdgP_Story-Mind-Map-using-the-5-W-s-mind-map.png

Listening - One Step At A Time!

Weareokay12 July 20th, 2022

@gentleSail2728 yeah, it happens. Maybe start with a episode that hit your mind first. Then go with the flow

elsol2005 July 20th, 2022

Try writing all of your ideas down for this story and then start putting them in an order that would make sense for your story/storyline.

SailorGreen July 20th, 2022

My advice: Let the characters and the environment drive the plot on their own. What is each character after? What sort of situation can they end up in? What kind of situation do you think would be interesting to see them in? What would they do in each of these situations? When your mind comes up with these answers, you can build up the world in a way that fits.