Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What do you think of this quote?

Percy9 July 5th

"The bird fights its way out of the egg. The egg is the world. Who would be born must first destroy a world."

Hi everyone, I stumbled across this quote by Hermann Hesse's Demian the other day and wanted to hear some different interpretations. If it speaks to you too, let me know your thoughts on it.

PineTreeTree July 6th

@Percy9 if you assume your views of the world represent reality, your world may be cozy but very small. In an egg we are the only being that exists. For us, emerging from our shell takes work that must continue throughout our life. Leaving our shell we find a world that has much more to offer. We know some people who refuse to leave their shells. We call the most extreme, Karens. Your shell may be the safest place but you could also end up in an omelette. 

Percy9 OP July 8th

@PineTreeTree

Thanks for sharing. I had a similar interpretation myself. I also wonder if the shell could represent limitations imposed by other people/the environment. So, in order to break out, one must "destroy" the limitations placed on them by their situation