Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

A powerful quote from Walden

Percy9 September 15th, 2023

Wanted to share this quote from Walden by Henry David Thoreau, wherein he explains the reason he lived alone in the woods for two years. I often come back to this book when I need to be reminded of modern life's tendency to over-complicate matters.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms...”

passionateSea2002 September 16th, 2023

@Percy9 this is so beautiful! It's true that our fast-paced lives can make us so busy and, sometimes, cynical that we forget to appreciate the little things. It's all about the art of taking things slow and recognising the things we should be grateful for.

Percy9 OP September 16th, 2023

@passionateSea2002

Very insightful. I agree wholeheartedly 😊

passionateSea2002 September 16th, 2023

just a little time spent with people we love, can help a lot too

SolarGenerator November 19th, 2023

As love is life, I combined what @passionateSea2002 said with Mr. Thoreau's quote.  I believe Henry would be pleased:

“I went to the [planet Earth] because I wished to love deliberately, to front only the essential facts of love, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not loved. I did not wish to love what was not love, loving is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation (from love), unless it was quite necessary (which it is not). I wanted to love deep ..., to love so sturdily and [Jesus]-like as to put to rout all that was not love, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive love into a corner, and reduce [illusion] to its lowest terms [leaving nothing but pure love behind]...”