Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Literary Prizes

fuzzyLemon August 10th, 2022

Hi Bookworms 🥰

I just wondered if anyone knew what Literary Awards were worth paying attention to? Usually I don't bother because I hate all the hype/promotion stuff but I've read a few books that were prize winning and they have been excellent.

Bonus points if the prize involves authors from countries other than the UK (although I do need it to be translated!) or women, or LGBTQ+ authors or BIPOC.

Thanks in advance!

EmotionsListener August 10th, 2022

@fuzzyLemon

I find more genre-centric awards seem to be more useful to me than the wider awards that cover more categories.

For example:

• As I am a fan of fantasy and science fiction, the award that comes to mind that I like to pay attention to is the Hugo award.
  • Likewise, I also enjoy some children's books and young adult fiction so often will look for the Newbery Medal.
  • As for LGBTQ+ fiction I don't find many books with one but the "Lammys" (Lambda Literary Awards) would be my choice there.

I also like to recognize finalists in addition to the winners. Usually any book that is under consideration is worth a read.

fuzzyLemon OP August 10th, 2022

@EmotionsListener

Thanks so much for your reply Emotions! I'll be sure to check those out! 😁

August 27th, 2022

@fuzzyLemon

This is a good thread👍What award-winning books you have read that you think are excellent?