Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Lonely During the Holiday Season?

fruityPond7887 November 18th, 2022

_1668743409.download.jpg

"Many different factors can cause loneliness; in particular, the holiday season can trigger feelings of loneliness.

At this time of year, there is a strong focus on connectedness. In supermarkets, department stores, on television, and on social media, we're bombarded with imagery of family and friends gathering together for food and fun times. It's easy to assume that everyone else is leading more exciting lives than we are and that no one else is lonely.

But we are not alone in feeling lonely. Loneliness affects millions of people around the world. In fact, it's perfectly normal to feel inadequate, left out, and lonely, especially during the holidays.

The Loneliness Epidemic

Researchers say that there is a loneliness epidemic. Loneliness is pervasive and rising steadily in the United States, particularly since the pandemic, with many people reporting they have fewer social ties and have lost touch with friends and family.

In a recent study, 36 percent of respondents reported serious loneliness, feeling lonely "frequently" or โ€œalmost all the time or all the time.โ€ Another study shows that 58 percent of Americans often feel like no one in their life knows them well and their relationships with others are not meaningful.

Loneliness cuts across age groups. From baby boomers to Gen Z, younger and older people all report feelings of loneliness. It can occur at any time in life, although those going through a breakup, divorce, or the death of a loved one tend to struggle most with loneliness. Single parents commonly report feelings of mental and physical loneliness. Other predictors of loneliness include poor health, infrequent socializing, living alone, and being unmarried. For those people who don't have close family and friends or a reliable support system around them during Thanksgiving, Christmas, and other holidays, their sense of loneliness often intensifies.

How to Stop Feeling Lonely

Long-term loneliness can affect emotional and physical health, leading to depression, anxiety, heart disease, substance abuse, and domestic abuse. Finding ways to cope with loneliness is vital. Here are just a few ways to deal with feeling lonely, especially around the holidays.

Acknowledge your loneliness: realizing how you feel and talking to friends and family or seeking a therapist can help build coping skills to combat loneliness. Be around people: visiting a park, a library, a museum, or a coffee shop and simply being around others can reduce feelings of loneliness and isolation. Find a volunteer opportunity: Helping at a hospital, nursing home, or soup kitchen can take our minds off our problems and bring a sense of connection to others. Joining a group or club: finding others with similar interests is a great way to forge social ties with others online or in person.

Practice self-care: exercise, proper sleep, having a healthy diet, and even meditation all work to elevate mood and promote good emotional health. Switch off from the online world: social media can offer ways to interact and engage with others, but it can also contribute to greater feelings of loneliness, isolation, and inadequacy.

And finally, we should remember that these feelings of loneliness, albeit powerful, are fleeting. A sense of loneliness doesn't last forever, it is only temporary."

*I think we all go through some loneliness from time to time. It can be especially hard around the holidays, more so when we see all the posts on social media. It's hard to remember that social media doesn't display reality. More people are lonely than you realize. The article above describes some great ways to cope with the loneliness. We can take care of ourselves, but try to find some socialization as well just by being around others. Loneliness is never permanent and you will always be okay! Do you ever feel lonely, even around the holidays? What types of things make you feel better?*

#Loneliness #Holidays #HolidaySeason

Please find the full article at Psychology Today.

Sunisshiningandsoareyou November 18th, 2022

@fruityPond7887 Tis that season again hehe, thankyou for making this post on such a relevant topic. May I add it to this post also? ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

https://www.7cups.com/forum/GeneralSupport_28/DiscussionsSelfCareandResources_931/TheOtherSideOfHolidaysyouarenotalone_266847/

Loneliness hits harder during this time, I feel, but I'm glad there's 7 cups where we can share and seek support, have some company to push through the holidays also. โค I like keeping busy with something, or watching some movie/ show, journaling etc.

fruityPond7887 OP November 19th, 2022

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou Those are great coping skills Sun! Nothing like our favorite show!! <3

Of course you can add it! :) The more, the merrier! Get it? Cause it's Christmas? hehe

Thank you for reading!! ๐Ÿ’—

Sunisshiningandsoareyou November 19th, 2022

@fruityPond7887 Lol yes, loved it! ๐Ÿ’—

Creamyyy November 18th, 2022

One can feel really lonely in holiday time if there's no family or friends around. I remember one such time vividly. It was my birthday (in the month of December) and I had no one around me. I felt so so melancholic. Anyway I've learnt to appreciate company now. You see darkness so you can value the light. That must be it.

I gather when we feel lonely we forget to look at our own consciousness or connect with the warmth of it. Solitude can be fulfilling as well.

@Creamyyy I love your perspective and I know how lonely birthdays can be as well. My birthday is in December as well and it can be sad sometimes because everyone is so busy with the holidays that it can be hard for them to see us on our birthdays. But I love what you said here: "You see darkness so you can value the light." You are such a positive person and I hope more people can find peace in the more negative situations like you can. Thank you for sharing! โค๏ธ

deep91 November 18th, 2022

It's been quite a long time i have been facing this problem .nighmeres without any reason (my personal life and working life is not bad .everything is balanced)

After wakeup in morning /after nap this feeling being alone .hopelessness the dread feeling .i even can't explain how it feels .

Maybe there is something wrong with me

@Loveyourself022 I'm really sorry that you have been experiencing these nightmares, but I can assure you that there is nothing wrong with you!! Sometimes, nightmares arise from trauma. Have you talked to a doctor about this? It could be helpful! <3 Wishing you the best of luck!! ๐Ÿ˜Š

deep91 November 19th, 2022

I have talked with doctor

According to doctor it's happening due to my long history of depression and some changes in REM ..

But i am not sure .what to believe

@Loveyourself022 Did the doctor talk to you about treatment options? Maybe it could be helpful! ๐Ÿ˜Š