Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

A poem to the spider under my bed

LonleyCheese January 8th

Today I was looking for something under my bed and saw a pretty good-sized spider. However, I have a pet jumping spider, and I'm not too keen to squish them. So I went to get a jar to overwinter the poor scared thing, as it's too cold to let outside. But it (understandably) hid and I couldn't find it. It really got me thinking so I wrote. Here's what I've come up with.

Dear little friend 

Underneath my bed

I saw you while looking for a sheet there

Disturbing the home you’d made and scared you

I, too, was afraid

I went to get a jar to collect you

But, when I returned, you had disappeared 

I figured I’d feed you until the weather warms up, and I’d let you back outside

But you didn’t know, you assumed I would squish you

You assumed that being seen as you are would cost your life

So you’ve hidden away underneath those same sheets I’m now afraid to touch

I didn’t mean to scare you, and you didn’t mean to scare me

I’m glad you’ve chosen my room to spend these cold winter months

You’ve probably been eating the gnats from my plants

A huge favor for me

I hope you didn’t get any with the fungicide on them, I hope you’re well

I hope that I’ll see you again, keep you safe until it’s safe to go outside

Because, little one, I respect you

I see you

Just another creature getting by

I will not squish you

But know that we fear you too.

LonleyCheese OP January 16th

@Cottonn well, I am afraid of them. But they are living creatures regardless, and i have never personally been bit, nor do i live in an area with dangerous spiders. I also have a pet jumping spider and I figure that the two arent much different. as long as i leave them alone they don't bother me, and if i find one, the goal will always be catch and release

Roarshark January 14th

@LonleyCheese love your words. We often fear things because of what they seem, not what they are.

@Roarshark Thank you! I think it is definently important to see things as they are, like you said. If that's how everyone worked, the world could be a lot kinder, I think.

Percy9 January 14th

@LonleyCheese

This was very creative! I love the line about fungicide. Thanks for sharing your work

@Percy9 Oh thank you! I love to write whenever the creative juices get going (:  Yeah I thought the fungicide line was a bit funny, but it's true enough! theres a bunch of gnats in my room and they're sorta trying to kill my plants, so i sprayed them. geniunely hope the lil guy didn't eat any of it

Percy9 January 16th

Well, a lot of great lines have been written based on real life. Hope you keep writing and enjoying the process :)

BelovedMe January 30th

@LonleyCheese   Your poem beautifully captures the delicate balance of fear and respect between humans and spiders. It’s a touching narrative that shows empathy towards a creature that is often misunderstood and feared. The way you’ve personified the spider, acknowledging its fears and intentions, is truly heartwarming.

Writing can be a powerful tool for understanding and expressing our feelings towards the world around us. Keep writing and exploring these connections. Your words can help others see the world from a different perspective. 🕷️💛