Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Mixed Girl Chronicles. Lets talk!

SensitiveArtsySoul January 23rd, 2018

I want this to be a thread where anyone can ask question and talk about their experiences. Even if you aren't mixed, you can still weigh in.

Here's my experience:

I don't want to say that being mixed comes with a weird experience, but that's what's coming to my mind when I think about being mixed. Two or more separate races, two separate cultures all mixed together can be a bit interesting. Most of my life, I went through a phase of feeling like I had to choose a side and feeling like I didn't belong anywhere. That was a constant struggle. I did tend to gravitate to one side more than the other, however. I think that happens with a lot of mixed girls. My mom and Grandma are always over my shoulder reminding me "you know you're part British too!!" lol. It just gets uncomfortable when there's a lot of racial tension going on. I believe the most recent thing that happned was the H&M thing. I'm open to both sides and I love both cultures. I love being me.

caringShoulder14 January 29th, 2018

i have the same struggle as a mixed girl. when having to choose for documents i often lean towards saying im african american. i never usually pick caucasian. it was hard in school when i was too much of one thing for one group and too much of the other for the other group. i've gotten over that though. but a lot of the news makes it hard because my family has two different viewpoints.

SensitiveArtsySoul OP January 31st, 2018

@caringShoulder14 I think I do lean towards my African American side as well but when I fill out applications, I always put other. Im mixed with too many things to list them all lol!