Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Hairstyles.

SensitiveArtsySoul May 28th, 2016

When I was a little girl my ex best friend's mom used to put plaits and cornrows in my hair whenever I would go and stay the weekend there. Black girls who didn't know me always said that I was just a white girl trying to be black. I am multi-racial. I'm Black, French, Native American, Dominican and British.

There certain hairstyles that I am able to wear ( because my hair will hold these styles) but don't out of fear that I'd still have those same experiences.

is it still culture appropriation if I wear "black" hairstyles even though I'm mixed?

May 28th, 2016

@NovaAnneArt That's a very interesting question that I don't feel I am entirely equipped to answer. However, I really feel strongly that all hairstyles/clothing/accessories should be available for anyone to wear. I don't think we as a society, should put a label on who can wear what or who can do this. It's not unfair and it limits us as a whole. I'd love to see what others have to say about this though! I'll bump up your post in case someone else would like to comment about this. Good luck and keep being you! smiley

SensitiveArtsySoul OP May 29th, 2016

@KindListening thank you so much for your response and upvote. I appreciate that

TheSteveFundYPOC June 1st, 2016

@NovaAnneArt

I think hairstyles are a reflection of an individual that may happen to align with hairstyles that are popular with different cultures.

I chose to wear my hair in what people may say are "natural"styles but sometimes I like to wear it straight. I don't feel I am picking one side of culture over the other. If you have the ability to grow hair, I feel you should be able to wear it how you like. If people are unable to grow their hair, there are many ways to express their individuality as well.

Hope my two cents help.

Kimson

thoughtfulEyes6463 August 17th, 2016

@NovaAnneArt It seems like people are trying to deny your blackness as a leveling mechanism. You are obviously not a white girl, but it's likely they were just trying to make you feel bad.

stream26 September 4th, 2016

@NovaAnneArt It'is ok chainge your hairstyle and try something new. I also have long hair and sometimes trying to make different braids. I found on Hairstylezz some stylish variants and also lookink videos by name hairstyle. But seems I can use my hands to eat only

oceansand17 March 4th, 2017

@NovaAnneArt Any style will fit you well :)heart

@NovaAnneArt I am so sorry that you had to go through that experience

@NovaAnneArt I am so sorry that you had to go through that experience

what hair oils or creams do you use for strengthening hair

SensitiveArtsySoul OP December 19th, 2017

@SisterHaleemaCounselor I don't straighten my hair often but there's this serum called chi and it's really good. I also like It's a 10 serum.

debsss December 20th, 2017

I know this is from a while ago, but I personally feel like as long as you decide to not be inappropriate towards those hairstyles then it wouldn't be bad. You are half black it sounds like. This means that half of your heritage comes from Black culture. Some may disagree, while others may agree with me, but at the end of the day the questions to ask yourself are this:

1. Do you feel comfortable?

2. Are you willing to have a conversation with those who disagree and understand their mindset?

3. Do you have any mal attentions with wearing another culture's or part of your culture's attire?