Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I love my cultural food!

anjellyna November 24th, 2021

I remember hiding my lunch during elementary school and telling my parents I thought that our Chinese food was weird, and begging them to give me something "normal" to eat.

Now that I've grown I realized how much I just wanted to fit in and be seen as "normal." But guess what? I love my food. It's delicious and my parents are amazing cooks, and I'm learning to cook like them too, as well as appreciating the food from other cultures. I love showing off my food to my friends now!

I think that past a certain age, most people mature past judging others for trivial things like what they eat for lunch. I look back and I recognize how much some things impacted me, but now if someone comments that my food is weird I'd be fine because I like to eat it regardless. I'm hopeful that in the future, people can be more accepting and open to other cultures. Thank you for reading this long rant.

halcyonCloud2036 November 25th, 2021

@anjellyna

I totally get it! I was the same. It seemed so "weird" to have food others didn't recognize. I love that you are now embracing your culture and are proud of your parents and the food they create! We have no reason to care what others think! This is part of who we are and the people who judge us for what we eat can just shut up lol

aeris156 November 25th, 2021

@anjellyna

yes!!! food is such an important part of so many people's cultures and it deserves to be celebrated without shame! also i'm such a foodie so i have to ask, what are ur favorite dishes?

anjellyna OP November 26th, 2021

@aeris156 There's a lot of Chinese dishes I like actually! 😂 for savoury dishes, I love braised pork belly, beef noodle soup, potsticker dumplings, steamed whole fish, dimsum, spicy mapo tofu, twice-cooked pork, tiger skin peppers, wonton soup, spring rolls, cantonese-style curry, chinese flatbreads! And my mom makes this mushroom, tofu, and bamboo stir fry.

And as for sweets, I love sweet rice cake (niangao), Yunnan rose cakes, and tang yuan 😊 I'm a big foodie too and I totally relate. And you gotta recommend me some food too 🤤

mliu357 February 25th, 2023

Ofc!!!!

StxrrySky February 26th, 2023

@anjellyna

I get it! I've been in the EXACT same situation! My mom used to make Asian food for my lunch and I would always be embarrased. Then In Middle School people started telling me that my lunch looked amazing. Thats when i realized that my lunch wasnt "weird". Its unique!