Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Module 3. Emotion Regulation: (Discussion #9) Self-Validation

QuietMagic April 5th, 2022

DBTuesday is a series of posts where we explore skills and concepts from dialectical behavior therapy (DBT).

This is one of several posts focusing on emotion regulation, which is the third module of DBT skills training. See this post for general info about DBT and this post for more info about emotion regulation.

What is self-validation

Self-validation is understanding and accepting our own inner experiences. This could include the following:

• Being encouraging
  • Noticing things we’re good at
  • Noticing things we’re trying really hard at
  • Noticing how we’re feeling
  • Caring for our needs
  • Saying kind things to ourselves
  • Accepting our limits rather than expecting perfection
  • Being forgiving if we make mistakes

Benefits of self-validation

Here are some benefits of self-validation:

• It feels good: It feels good to be praised, appreciated, understood, and treated kindly. 💜
  • More effective coping: During a difficult experience, self-validation can help with staying calm and avoiding making things feel worse.
  • Less dependent on others: If we’re able to self-validate, then we aren’t quite as reliant on other people offering praise or acceptance.

These are some more general benefits of positive self-talk (of which self-validation is one example):

• Increased life satisfaction
  • Improved immune function
  • Improved cardiovascular health
  • Improved physical well-being
  • Increased energy
  • Reduced risk of death
  • Reduced stress
  • Reduced pain

Tips for practicing self-validation

Marsha Linehan, the creator of DBT, described 6 levels of validation, which also apply to validating oneself:

• 1) Be present: Allow yourself to feel what you’re feeling, including any bodily sensations
  • 2) Accurate reflection: State what you’re feeling without distorting or judging
  • 3) Guessing: Use clues from your body sensations or the surrounding situation to guess what you might be feeling if you aren’t sure
  • 4) Validating based on history: Acknowledge that you may have past experiences that influence your present experiences and make them more understandable
  • 5) Normalizing: Consider that other people would feel similarly if they were in the same situation with the same external and internal conditions
  • 6) Radical genuineness: Allow yourself to be what you are instead of pretending to be someone you aren’t

Here are some examples of statements that might be helpful to use:

• “It’s okay for me to feel what I’m feeling.”
  • “It’s understandable for me to feel this way.”
  • “My feelings matter.”
  • “I trust my instincts.”
  • “I’m doing my best.”
  • “I’m making progress.”
  • “It’s okay to make mistakes.”

Reflection

Think about something you’ve been struggling with recently. What is something validating you could say to yourself in response?

Sources:

https://oregoncounseling.com/article/practicing-self-validation/

https://psychcentral.com/blog/imperfect/2019/11/why-its-so-important-to-validate-yourself-and-how-to-start

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/pieces-mind/201407/self-validation

https://www.healthline.com/health/positive-self-talk

@Adeline12345 @ahhhhelpimalive @AlfAndthemachine @alleywood13 @Alwaysinpyjamas @ambitiousVase1322 @amicableDime9946 @AndreaDawn @arbanon @ARC80 @AutumnLauren6 @autumnthemoth @Avocado22 @azuladragon34 @b4Damion @berrymimi @bestcase @caringPerspective41 @CheerySandi @ChristmasGift @crang17 @cyanPlatypus6370 @dagaz13th @DamagedOne13 @dberryy @diamondintheROUGH2022 @DoggoMom @ebonyyyblondie89 @EddaLayla @emerijourney @EmotionalNerd @Everythingisbetterinyourpyjamas @fireyseastar97 @FloweringBunny @forcefulFriend4768 @Goldcherry2113 @GrahZeymahzin @GRAPSPRO2033 @GreenScarab @Hadeel96 @HashiramaNinja @healingHeart1111 @heartycitrus @HopeandFaith @Hyacinth22 @ImaginativePenny152 @imclover @indigoCup1959 @intelligentWheel627 @Irishrose78 @itsmeow @Jasminerice @Jish07541 @JoniGirl @K87 @kindTurtle3738 @LadyNikita @LavenderFlower @Lemino @LightsFromDark @LiliTwolsky @limeRaspberries2286 @lovelyWords13 @LoveTracker @maple23 @MeeshyRB @MelG919 @missg @Mkmultra @munchiegoosie @nervoussmiles @Nubia87 @OneErased @optimisticMagic0014 @OrangePeel24 @Oxymoron6demon @passionateJackfruit5095 @Piggy @placidShade4261 @Pointlesswords @QueenBee03 @QuietMagic @racqueldawn @raininglillies13 @Red789 @RelaxedPanda @RemorseCode2 @Rex0911 @selfdisciplinedBunny232 @ShyCat1678201 @SilverSeastar @spectacularCandy9984 @Stardew3 @Starilus @StrangeKat @sunflower2480 @Tamy4210 @Tatianaalize @toucans @Triscups @uniqueRose1689 @versatilePomegranate60 @WalkingCrow @Xe @YourCaringConfidant

Sunisshiningandsoareyou April 5th, 2022

@QuietMagic

A really helpful post. Thankyou for yet another amazing thread haha! ❤️

QuietMagic OP April 5th, 2022

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Thanks!

VioletSpringGlade April 21st, 2022

Thank you for this information. Sometimes it can be really hard to do at first. If people around us are telling us otherwise, and have done so for many years we might believe them and find it hard to learn to trust and validate our own thoughts and feelings. But we can learn to. 🤗

QuietMagic OP April 21st, 2022

@VioletSpringGlade

I always feel a bit humbled by times where I try to fight a genuine/legitimate feeling I'm having but it stays there or gets stronger despite all of my hard work to bully it out of existence. 😊 So then I find I don't really have much choice but to go the other way and be yielding/kind/gentle.

lovelyWords13 April 27th, 2022

Thank you for this post it was very helpful

QuietMagic OP April 27th, 2022

@lovelyWords13

Glad to hear it!

bestForest6570 May 4th

@QuietMagic Very helpful ressource. Thank you for sharing it.