Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

IFS

courageousPond1835 April 24th, 2023

I'm looking for a group to start working through the IFS videos on YouTube. Maybe meet and discuss at a certain time?

Or, better yet. Does anyone have any resources on finding an IFS therapist?

I was recently diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder after my second hospitalization in less than 10 years. I am 40 and bisexuality, a part of me that I tried to keep hidden for about 20 years.

IFS resonated with me because of the exiles. I feel like my identity is so fractured that all I have left are exiles. I'm not sure I've actually found my 'self' yet. The reason I think this is because I started to spiral after a course on changing careers had us do some IFS-type meditations to help us discover our 'authentic selves'. It's a weird and frustrating experience to be a middle aged white woman with a semi-successful career and two kids, getting diagnosed with a personality disorder. I'm hoping to find some relief from that frustration by discussing/studying/and working through IFS.

May 5th, 2023

Morning @courageousPond1835

I'm sorry your post didn't get the engagment you were looking for. Unfortunately I don't have much informaiton of IFS. If you were looking for a specific therapist, I would recommend checking out this link: https://www.7cups.com/therapists/search.php. I hope you find the support and validation you are after. ๐Ÿ’›

MeaningfulSilence August 5th, 2023

@courageousPond1835

Hello there courageousPond1835, I hope you have found some relief and that things are going a little better. I don't know into specific about this type of therapy but i wish it could be of help to your situation. Remember that what helps someone could be unhelpful for someone else!

I can share some informations I have found about it but this is just an informative post, no advice is meant to be given on wether to approach IFS, nor if it works better than a different therapy .

IFS is frequently used as an evidence-based psychotherapy, helping people heal by accessing and healing their protective and wounded inner parts. IFS creates inner and outer connectedness by helping people first access to their Self and, from that core, come to understand and heal their parts.

IFS does not make any attempt to change how people think. Instead, the purpose of IFS is to help clients understand why their thoughts occur and which part they originate from. In healing these parts, the thoughts and behaviors will automatically change.

Criticism of this kind of therapy includes failing to address any neurobiological underpinnings of mental health issues and also about the practice of making people deal with repressed trauma.

Hope it helped clarifying about it.

Take care ๐Ÿ‘‹

dovahAcolyte August 14th, 2023

@courageousPond1835

I had a short time with an IFS therapist. It was an excruciating experience for me. I found the work immensely difficult and traumatizing at times. I'm now in a DBT program that is validating and I'm making tremendous progress.

For your reference, I am ND with BPD, MDD, cPTSD, and GAD. I'm also non-binary and queer.

I'm sorry I couldn't offer you more, but I thought maybe sharing my personal experience could help.