Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Just found out about my disorder

humorousAcres8948 December 10th, 2021

Hi everyone, I just got diagnosed with schizotypal disorder and unfortunately I can’t go to the therapist and maintain a professional treatment. Do you have any advices or life hacks for someone like me to make things easier? I never thought that I have such a problem, my life didn’t change after this discovery, however, I feel as if I took the victim role and persuaded myself that it’s the worst thing that could’ve happened to me and life is ruined😬. I hope that people can live peacefully and happily with such special qualities (i would call mine like that), like I intended to do before knowing about my problem?

RarelyCharlie December 10th, 2021

@humorousAcres8948 I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that people can live peacefully and happily with special qualities of all kinds, and putting a label like "schizotypal" on them is not necessarily very helpful.

To make things easier…well, I wonder what things you wish to be easier? I imagine there are sources of self-help for the various individual aspects of schizotypal disorder if you can identify what your priorities are.

Charlie

QuietMagic December 19th, 2021

@NickTNIEPYTAW

This is sort of getting into the general question of "When/why are personality disorders diagnosed and how are they different from normal personality traits?" My understanding is that they're similar but personality disorders just represent normal traits becoming more magnified or extreme to the point that it results in suffering.

"Personality traits represent patterns of thinking, perceiving, reacting, and relating that are relatively stable over time. Personality disorders exist when these traits become so pronounced, rigid, and maladaptive that they impair work and/or interpersonal functioning."

https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/psychiatric-disorders/personality-disorders/overview-of-personality-disorders

Here's a different source that has created a model mapping each personality "disorder" to a corresponding non-disordered "style".
https://npsp25.com/personality-styles-and-personality-disorders/