Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How does narcissistic personality disorder get diagnosed by doctor?

CheerySandi February 28th, 2023

Is it true, what i read, that many people with narcissistic personality disorder aren't aware of their issues with narcissistic personality disorder? How does narcissistic personality disorder even gets diagnosed by doctor if it is true that many of them might not be seeking help for their issues as many of them might not be aware of their issues?

(sorry for weasel words but only this way i can assure that i won't be seen as someone who overgeneralizes)

innateJoy9602 March 5th, 2023

@CheerySandi

That's a good question. I think some individuals with NPD may recognize that their behavior is causing problems in their relationships and may seek help on their own. Or it can also be brought to the attention by a concerned loved one. 💜

Sleepwalkermw March 19th, 2023

@CheerySandi

Thank you for asking this question! Actually, among all the personality disorders, NPD is the rarest one which gets diagnosed, but it is highly believed by professionals that the real amount of people suffering from NPD is much higher in the population than what the statistics tell us. The issue here is, NPD individuals are known not to seek out help regarding mental health, as in most cases they are convinced that nothing is wrong with them and extremely rarely doubt this belief. Therefore, a lot of individuals with NPD never get diagnosed, unless a second party is involved (like family members, friends, or even the police if the person got involved in a crime) which get the person to actually see a psychiatrist.

I hope this helps!

StressedGirl November 2nd, 2023

My dad is prob'ly narcisstic but it's alwys me dng evrythng wrng he thnks his way is the only way to thnk and has strange reasons for thngs.

linvi November 2nd, 2023

@StressedGirl

I think those are symptoms, you could look into the symptoms more and maybe talk to another family member about it?

linvi November 2nd, 2023

@CheerySandi

what are the symptoms?

you could bring a list of them that the person has to a doctor and talk about the next step

StressedGirl November 2nd, 2023

Thnks.

WhatNameidk July 2nd

If someone with NPD acknowledges they have it then either they won't truthfully view it as bad or they will downplay it like, they used to have it but they saw a therapist and they realised and now its cured. Narcs would never suffer from a disorder, they would simply rise above it...