Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Having a crush on fictional character

passionateNorth2259 September 2nd, 2023

Hello everyone..i hope all of you are doing good

First i really didn't know where to put this thread because i didn't find the perfect place for it and 7 cubs changed since the last time i was here so i decided to put it here because i think it's a disorder i have been dealing with for a long time

Secondly it's something too embarrassing to talk about or even mention it so i really was hesitate to talk about it but i just can't be quiet and i need to get this off my chest

I have this weird habit of developing a crush on a fictional character ..i would watch a movie and see this female character who is beautiful and amazing then i start to fell in love with her

And it's not normal love ...i start to have a deep feeling for her to the point where i get depressed...for instance that character have a boyfriend or got married it will hurt my feeling as if it's something that happened to me in a real world or as if i know that character in real life...i feel like a character in her fictional world where i have a relationship with her.

And i would spend my entire day thinking about her which effect my mental health and attitude .

This is something i have been dealing with since i was a child and i just couldn't get rid of the habbit or whatever you want to call it.

Have a blessed day πŸ™

Percy9 September 2nd, 2023

@passionateNorth2259

Hello everyone..i hope all of you are doing good

First i really didn't know where to put this thread because i didn't find the perfect place for it and 7 cubs changed since the last time i was here so i decided to put it here because i think it's a disorder i have been dealing with for a long time

Secondly it's something too embarrassing to talk about or even mention it so i really was hesitate to talk about it but i just can't be quiet and i need to get this off my chest

I have this weird habit of developing a crush on a fictional character ..i would watch a movie and see this female character who is beautiful and amazing then i start to fell in love with her

And it's not normal love ...i start to have a deep feeling for her to the point where i get depressed...for instance that character have a boyfriend or got married it will hurt my feeling as if it's something that happened to me in a real world or as if i know that character in real life...i feel like a character in her fictional world where i have a relationship with her.

And i would spend my entire day thinking about her which effect my mental health and attitude .

This is something i have been dealing with since i was a child and i just couldn't get rid of the habbit or whatever you want to call it.

Have a blessed day πŸ™

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. I've known many people who had the same experience and I have personally experienced something like that before, too. I have a tendency to get really absorbed in books/movies/TV shows to the point where I feel like I'm really involved in it. This might seem really weird, but sometimes if I develop a crush on a character, I pretend I'm the character's significant other. So if a character I like gets married, I just think of myself as the character they married, if that makes sense. Then I get to still enjoy it without feeling sad.

Sometimes developing a crush on a fictional character can even be a good thing. For instance, it can help you feel less lonely or enlighten you to aspects of the character that you would like in a real-life significant other one day. It can help you prioritize. But other times, it can make you feel more sad and lonely, and there's nothing wrong with that, either. I just hope you're able to keep perspective and remember there's wrong with feeling this way. You're probably a very imaginative person, which is an awesome gift. 😊

YourCaringConfidant September 3rd, 2023

@passionateNorth2259 Thank you for being here and for being so brave to talk about a subject that may be embarrassing for you. The fact that you are brave enough to share your story and bring light to this may actually help others who can relate. Personally, I would not be so strung up on what's normal or not. While some may think this is "normal" or perfectly ok to have TV characters/celebrity crushes, the fact that you mentioned it is affecting your mental health, lets me know that this is something that may really be bothering you beyond the scope of what is healthy. I am so sorry to hear that your mental health is being affected by these behaviors. Have you considered talking to a doctor about these strong feelings you feel and explained how it bothers you? Please know that your feelings are valid and that I want to see you happy. I commend your strength and think you are amazing. <3 Sending hugs your way.

passionateNorth2259 OP September 5th, 2023

Thank you for your kind words it really meant a lot to me

When I'm talking about what's not normal is...for instance let's just say that fictional character that i have a crush on got married

That will effect me deeply to the point i get depressed and can't focus on my day or can't even eat well.

I would wake up and think about her or her fictional marriage and i become in a bad mood.

It effect as if it's something that happened in the real world..that alll happened because i live deeply in a fictional world

And i live in a small town in saudi Arabia

There no therapist or a doctor that i can talk to

But i have my brother and my cousin who helped me a lot with this issues

Sorry for being too late with my response

YourCaringConfidant September 5th, 2023

@passionateNorth2259 I am so glad that you have your brother and cousin to help be your support system. β™‘ That's very important. I understand you saying the fictional world is at a point it physically and mentally affects you in your real world. It was very courageous of you to be so open about this and your feelings. I hope things get better for you. β™‘ If you ever feel like you need additional support and a listener to talk to, you can browse for an available one here or put a request in the general request queue and wait for a listener to accept your request. Sending a πŸ€— to you. Take care.

siddharthh September 5th, 2023

@passionateNorth2259 Damn I am facing the same issue.

Need.to.talk to some counselor.