Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Difference in Treatment and Meds- BPD vs Bipolar&PTSD

MrEthanWackadoodle May 1st, 2015

Just as I said in the topic line, what would be the difference in treatment and medications?

I've been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder and PTSD as well as Dissociative Disorder Otherwise Specified. Pretty much, that's all the symptoms of Borderline. It's been suggested a few times, but I don't really want the diagnosis, because of discrimination against it even within the psychiatric community.

I've had training in CBT, DBT, and Mindfulness. I know thatDBT was developed for the treatment of BPD, but it's use is more widespread now.

So, if there is a difference in treatment and symptoms, and even roots and causes, then I'd like to educate myself. If there isn't...well, the purpose of a diagnosis is to facilitate what the causes and treatment is. So it wouldn't matter, if the treatment is the same.

OtterBunny May 6th, 2015

From what I understand, Bipolar is treated with meds primarily since it is a mood disorder and "biological" where as BPD is a personality disorder or "environmental". BUT, that being said, I have been diagnosed with BPD and Bipolar NOS and I only take an antidepressant...no therapy because no insurance and no money for it right now. Unfortunately the antidepressant seems to be losing its effectiveness. I don't think therapy is a bad idea for bipolar, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do any good without the correct meds.

blitheSun94 May 10th, 2015

Ethan, I agree with what Bunny noted. Manic Depression or, Bi-Polar Disorder, is an axis one diagnosis which means two things. One: Insurance companies are more likely to cover illnesses that are more responsive to medication, and Two: Borderline Personality Disorder is an axis two diagnosis that is responsive to extensive psychotherapy, medication, and a stigmatized prognosis. Insurance companies are less likely to cover long term treatment for individuals that often"never get better. " Recent publications in psychology are working to combat this, although, BPD is considered a behavioral disorder as opposed to a chemical imbalance like Bi-Polar Disorder. It should also be noted that BPD rarely travels alone and they're are often comorbid or, dual, diagnoses in play. They are very simply two entirely different illnesses. Thank you for your insight. ♡ BPD patients tend to utilize more psychotropic medication than any other illness and is most common in the clinical setting. Also, Bi-Polar Disorder has longer episodes of mania and depression where BPD is characterized by intense mood instability that changes often within the same day, even hours. Put simply, we're still learning about this.