Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

DBT- Mindfulness: Problem doing only one thing at once

littlerabbit June 10th, 2018

Hello there!

Since a few weeks, I started reading and doing DBT lessons and trying to do the exercises suggested in there. I feel like it has already helped me a bit but I am really struggling with only doing one thing at once (to be totall present there etc.) which is an important part of mindfulness.

I just really don't like being left alone with my thoughts. So I do at least 2 things at once, if not more, to always have something to give my attention and focus to. The only time this doesn't apply is when I do something that requires a lot of concentration, like studying, because then, it takes up enough of my concentration and focus to not any leave mental space for negative thoguhts. When I'm doing something that doesn't require as much focus, I simply feel like I'm not occupying enough mental space and the rest of the space will be filled with negative or anxious thoughts. Thus, I never do only one thing at a time.

Does anyone experience a similar problem?

Do you have any advice on this?

Thanks in advance :)

persistentKite4492 June 10th, 2018

@littlerabbit

persistentKite4492 June 10th, 2018

@littlerabbit I am interested in hearing suggestions as well! I do guided meditations on Youtube and try to practice just being. Easier said than done. I am really doing 3 things at once right now. I've never really notice how bad it was. What materials are you using for DBT? Right now, I am having difficulty finding resources.

littlerabbit OP June 11th, 2018

@persistentKite4492

the one I'm using is called http://www.dbtselfhelp.com and i feel like its really good. It's the only resourcde I have on DBT though, so I have nothing to compare it to.

romanticthi3f June 12th, 2018

@littlerabbit

Hi! Yes - this is hard! I applaud you for working through it because it's not easy!

The tricky thing with mindfulness is that it's a constant practice. Even the so-called 'experts' in mindfulness still have to practice. If you're someone who is not familiar with it, it's going to take some time to learn to be more 'present' and 'here'. Please be kind to yourself while you learn to do that!

There's many different ways that you can practice mindfulness. Typically people think of mindfulness as sitting on the floor and calming their mind, but you can practice it while doing everyday things (like washing the dishes).

Is there any time where you feel like you've been caught up in the moment? Where the automatic thoughts haven't been quite as intense and you haven't felt the need to do more than one thing?

This might be a good first step.

smiley

littlerabbit OP June 17th, 2018

@romanticthi3f

Thanks a lot for the reply!

littlerabbit OP June 17th, 2018

@littlerabbit

I found that what helps me is setting a time in which I will only do one thing (studying, watching sth etc.) so that I know it will be temporarily. Knowing that I will be able to go back to comfortable multitasking again after a certain period of time, calms me down and allows me to concentrate on the activity better.

I also think it helps to write down what I want to do while trying to focus on one activity, to self- assure myself that I will still do it and not forget it and also to see what I usually want to do while trying to focus one something.