Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

A therapist's perspective

RarelyCharlie December 2nd, 2019

I've just come across an old (2013) article that describes a therapist's perspective on borderline personality disorder. I suppose it was really written for therapists, and of course it is only one point of view, but I found it informative. As you might expect, it mentions some very upsetting things.

Therapists typically dread these clients since they can be among their most difficult, unpredictable, and unnerving.

But the overall message to therapists is very positive:

These clients deserve to be in relationship with someone who, after initially being triggered, can regain perspective and see behind the explosive rage, icy withdrawal, or manipulative controlling to the pain that drives those behaviors. As you become aware...[and] let your inner self shine through, not only will these difficult clients become some of your most rewarding, but your level of self-leadership and compassionate presence will increase.

Listeners might also be interested in the fragments of dialogue, because I think they are good examples of active listening.

See: Depathologizing The Borderline Client

Charlie

December 2nd, 2019

@RarelyCharlie

Thank you so much for sharing this Charlie.

You reminded me of a conversation I had not long ago with one of my therapists. He openly admitted that BPD clients are very heavily stigmatised. They are often dreaded and rejected by therapists. And when we reflect on the fact that at the core of BPD is an intense fear of being rejected and the idea of being unlovable... we can really see how painful this turns out to be.

December 2nd, 2019

It's me again :)

I have just finished to read it all. And... I am even more grateful and I think I will be sharing this with both my therapists. It makes so much sense to me, you have no idea. I have been diagnosed as having BPD but possibly DID as well, and the fact that this article talks about subpersonalities in BPD patients... I don't know... I think I finally get what this is. Thank you, thank you, thank you.