Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

OCD bad false memories

LaughingLemon July 6th, 2017

I get bad memories flowing through my head quite a bit, and I also get a lot of just awful false memories and I feel like I legitimately was the root of a problem I had barely anything to do with. My compulsion is reassurance and confession, I feel like I must reassure that I didn't do the thing I get the false memory from and that I must also confess to remove some of the guilt. Every one of my obsessions most of the time is not true, but it's just so hard for me to accept that, and on top of that I also talk way too much about my obsessions to people asking for reassurance and I think it's starting to annoy most of them. Does anyone here have any advice to dismiss or push away these false memories off my mind? If you do I would be extremely grateful. Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day!

1AlwaysThere1 July 11th, 2017

@LaughingLemon

I understand how hard it can be to push obsessions away also because of how repetitive they are. Feeling of guilt is natural because we don't expect ourselves to do such things, and sometimes the fact that they preoccupy our mind can make us think that there's some truth in it, which is not at all true. The only way to push them away is to NOT try to intentionally push them away, just let them flow.Also, minimizing the time bit by bit on your compulsions can help.

From what you said, it looks like they are hampering your life to a lot of extent, if you feel distressed, consult a therapist.

You can pinge up if you need to talk to someone.

Take care!❤