Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I need to get out of my mind and my alternative imaginary fantasive world

Seraphina2 April 8th, 2019

Since a couple years i have an obssesion with an alternative world where i'm happier and i can achieve and be whatever i world. But this year is getting worse because when i start to imagine myself in this world i can't get out and focus in my real life. And my real life becomes more difficult when i spend a lot of time in this world, because it's very difficult to reconnect with the real world after a lot of hours in my mind, i lost a lot of time only imagine myself in this world and not being in my real life and it increase too my sensation of disconnect with my real life. I wanna stop imagine this world because my real life is better when i don't think in this alternative world and i would like to enjoy full time my real life without the need of scape and evade my self to an alternative better reality. But i don't know how to resist the impulse of evade myself and it's very hard to fight against myself and my mind all the time for be the person i wanna be

kindBranch5968 April 17th, 2019

@Seraphina2

@Seraphina2

Hi there,

I sometimes get caught up in my own head too, and find it hard to come back to reality, but Ive found it really helpful to focus on mindfulness and thought that this could help you too? My psychologist has recommended some exercises that settle my mind and help to bring me back into reality - When im in an episode of detatchment from my surroundings, I consciously look and different features of my environment and name their features. Like if i'm waiting for a bus and find myself needing to come back into the moment, Ill literally state in my mind what I am seeing and feeling, like 'Bus-stop sign' - 'has a chart underneath it with 5 different routes' or 'im wearing shoes on my feet' or 'my hair is tied up' - sounds a bit wierd but it actually really helps! By focusing on things that Im seeing, or feeling that are facts, im resettling myself in my actual environment and breaking from my mental reality. Has really helped me quite a bit.

You mentioned that its a fantasy that you sometimes feel caught up in, where you feel happier and can do anything you want to, im no expert or anything but it seems like this could be caused by feeling not so happy with the way you're currently living? in other words, the fantasy that you are caught up in could be a form of escapism from reality? If this is the case, you could possibly be more mindful, and connected with reality if you make some changes to the way you are living so that you are feeling happier? I find that staying socially connected is incredibly important in helping me to be more connected to reality - are there any local groups you could join or be apart of? Volunteering opportunities maybe? Consider exploring a new interest as well? - Physical health is also super important as well - so keeping moving, eating the right kinds of foods, and being hydrated will all help keep you happy :) - I know this advice might seem generic, but it has really helped me to find the value and happiness in the life that I live in reality and leave dream that I had created for myself in my head.

Sending Peace and Love x

humorous7106 May 17th, 2019

@Seraphina2 Hi. I've been going through something similar for a bunch of years now, but it's gotten more serious with time. My daydreams about a fictional "reality" are becoming more prevalent. I've found that maybe what I have is called maladaptive daydreaming. You can google it and see if it maybe applies to you too :)