Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Hoarding Disorder Treatment

Kyoshi November 16th, 2021

Treatment of Hoarding Disorder can be challenging because many people don't recognize the negative impact of hoarding on their lives or don't believe they need treatment. This is especially true if the possessions— such as stuffed animals or photographs—offer comfort. If they are taken away, people will often react with frustration and anger and quickly collect more to help fulfil emotional needs.

Psychotherapy, also called talk therapy, is the primary treatment. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is one of the main forms of psychotherapy used to treat hoarding disorder. Apart from CBT which is used quite frequently, medications may be added, particularly if you also have co-occuring conditions like anxiety or depression. Remember to try and find a therapist/mental health professional with experience in treating Hoarding Disorder.

For children with hoarding disorder, it's important to have the parents involved in treatment. Sometimes called "family accommodation," over the years, some parents may think that allowing their child to get and save countless items may help lower their child's anxiety. Actually it may do the opposite, increasing anxiety. In addition to therapy for the child, parents need professional guidance to learn how to respond to and help manage their child's hoarding behavior.

0214landsend1_1637067418.jpg

All credits to the creator. I don't own this image.

Keep a look out for Discussions, Check Ins, Forum Posts, Games, Icebreakers, and more!

Subscribe to this post to hear about our latest events, or check out the Community Calendar!

Interested in following the Support Plus sub-community? Join our Tag List and become a subscriber of the sub-community here!

Want to join the Support Plus Leadership Team? Express your interest here! (This is not an application form, but a way to collect information so we can reach out to you accordingly ❤️! )

For general feedback about the sub-community, we're all ears.

For all other enquiries, feel free to message jovialButterfly6752.

Tagging: @xandia, @lovelyWhisper66 , @Optimisticempath, @TruthIsInU, @wonderfulRainbow817

Edited by jovialButterfly6752 on November 16th, 2021 to make minor formatting changes.

xandia November 16th, 2021
@HealTheHealer

Thank you so much for the synopsis of hoarding disorder treatment. Those of us who deal with this issue everyday can benefit from all the information we can get. Also, being in a sub-community that deals with this condition we can take comfort we are all here to better ourselves and lift each other up and give support to those of us who need this aid so much. I look forward to seeing more information and personal struggles we all go through. xandia❤️
Kyoshi OP November 16th, 2021

@xandia

im glad you find this post helpful :)

emotionalTalker2260 November 16th, 2021

@HealTheHealer

😮 as soon as i seen stuffed animals i just had to read, XD hehe magic words, this was a good read and i can say i learnt something :)

@emotionalTalker2260

yay! Its always nice to learn new things :D

emotionalTalker2260 November 16th, 2021

@HealTheHealer

:) i love to learn at least 1 thing a day XD thank you for such a beautifully written post \(*-*)/

@emotionalTalker2260
aw haha thats great, learning is great :D

November 17th, 2021

@HealTheHealer

Thank you so much for sharing this! I have actually never heard of hoarding disorder prior to reading this, so it was really eye-opening for me! 💜

HappyDucky8 March 31st, 2022

Has anyone found anything helpful for hoarding disorder?