Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Trichotillomania

Lucy July 23rd, 2017

Trichotillomania

Trigger Warning- Some images or descriptions in here may be triggering to trichotillomania sufferers.

Disclaimer- I am not a doctor or medically trained in any way. Everything from this article is based upon my own experience, and the sources linked at the bottom of the piece :)

Every day that goes on, I have further to fall. When the strands hit the floor, I know it will take them about 6 years to grow back fully. If I say ‘oh today I feel like shaving my head, its because if I did that, the growth I would effect would be so little. This is something I will most likely have to deal with for a long time, and I know that. Trichotillomania is not something that can disappear overnight, but I am trying my hardest to not let it control me. Speaking about this is something I just needed to do. Sorry for cluttering your timelines, just I know this week isn't going to be easy.- My facebook status, 31st January 2015

No mental health problems are easy. None are simple, or ignorable. For me, for a long time, trichotillomania ruled my life. But it no longer does.

Trichotillomania (also known as trich or TTM) is defined as a condition where a person feels compelled to pull their hair out. It is a Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviour disorder (BFRB). Other examples of BFRBs are dermatillomania (skin picking), nail biting, and lip biting.

According to the TLC Foundation, approx 2 to 4% of people experience trichotillomania in their lifetimes- it usually begins in the early teen years, and in childhood occurs equally between the genders, but by adulthood, 80-90% of sufferers are female.

People can pull from anywhere- scalp, eyebrows, eyelashes and the pubic region are all common areas, but any hair can be pulled. Some people use tweezers, and others just use their hands. The hair loss is in irregular patches, unlike alopecia (an autoimmune disorder that causes hair loss) in which hair loss is in more regular shapes.

Trichotillomania has a related disorder, trichophagia, which involves eating the pulled hair. This can cause hair balls called trichobezoars, which can be fatal. Along with the trichobezoars, it may additionally cause repetitive stress injuries, and carpal tunnel, simply from the repeated action.

Trichotillomania also has a large crossover with other disorders - in the DSM-V (the American list of all mental illnesses and their diagnostic criteria), it is classed as a subset of OCD, which is itself a subset of anxiety. These disorders often are present alongside trichotillomania and other BFRBs. The physical hair loss can also cause low self esteem and related disorders, such as eating disorders and body dysmorphia.

Triggers for hair pulling can range from stress, to boredom, to nothing - some people even pull in their sleep. Trichotillomania can be described as feeling like youre allergic to your hair - an urge that you cant control without the pull and that pop of pulling it out.

Regrowing the hair can also cause issues - it can be oddly textured or coloured as the pulling can damage (and even kill) hair follicles. Regrowth can also take a very long time; some people with trichotillomania choose to shave their heads or cut their hair short - I myself got a long bob to quicken the time to regrow - growing it out to my waist would have taken years and years. Having shorter hair can also reduce pulling, as the hair is harder to hold on to - head shaving can however become a crutch, and render people unable to grow out their hair at all as they pull it all when it gets long enough to grab.

I myself have suffered from trichotillomania on and off for all of my life. My friend Ella has distinct memories of me pulling my hair out in reception (first year of school, aged 4-5). I lost a lot of my hair in year 4 following some stressful family drama, and lost a lot more following my fathers suicide in February 2014. Since seeing a therapist in March 2016 and being put on medication, my pulling has significantly decreased - I now dont pull from my scalp, and rarely pull other areas. My scalp hair has since grown back, albeit damaged and a completely different hair texture (very curly ringlets versus my lightly waved hair).

This all seems very scary, I understand. But trichotillomania is not some terrifying beast out to get you - it can be tamed.

Currently there are very few treatments that doctors can provide that will assist with trichotillomania. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is currently the foremost recommended treatment for trichotillomania - it allows people to reverse their ‘habits and ways of thinking to stop the pulling. Some may use anti-depressants, while others use an amino acid called N-acetylcysteine, which has not been proven clinically to help, but the benefits of it have been spread via the internet.

If you cant access a doctor, here are some things you can do to help yourself or others suffering from trichotillomania-

One tip for overcoming trichotillomania would be to see how long you can push it before you need to "fix" whatever is out of place or irritating your compulsion. See how long you can last; think of it like a game; see how long you can do it and try to beat your score every time. Train your brain to last longer and longer, and longer, until it's not a problem anymore.

Bear in mind that trichotillomania isnt necessarily a bad thing. Its just a different way of thinking. Dont beat yourself up about it.

Reward yourself. Some people have bracelets which they put beads on for every day pull free, and when I had enough hair, I got a really nice haircut, so I could feel better about my hair!

Finding alternative coping strategies can help. For example, some people twiddle elastic bands, or spinner rings, or special tangles (like the one in the picture on the left).

Using scalp masks or dandruff shampoos - this can prevent the itchiness that can trigger pulling (this REALLY helped me, and I still use it sometimes).

Dont be overly focused on being pull free. Set realistic expectations. These disorders are so so hard to get over! Video related here

Join facebook groups to find like minded people! The main trichotillomania facebook group can be found here

A great video for support can be found here

And a few questions for you all!

What are your experiences with trichotillomania? Share your story!

How have friends and family reacted to your disorder?

Do you chose to hide the bare areas, or rock them? Why?

What coping mechanisms do you use to help control the compulsions?

Sources used-

"What Is Trichotillomania?" The TLC Foundation for BFRBs. N.p., n.d. Web. http://bfrb.org/learn-about-bfrbs/trichotillomania

"Trichotillomania." NHS Choices. NHS, n.d. Web. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/trichotillomania/pages/introduction.aspx

"Trichotillomania." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichotillomania

A big shoutout to @Hope @NixNixels @WonderfulPumpkin71 @Teagan and everyone else I haven't credited here for the help with my honours project!

Also a shoutout to @Amelia for helping me with juggling the internship with self care and real life :)

And an interesting note- all the images of hair loss used here are actually photos of me in late 2015, when I lost most of my hair :) It has all since grown back, and I have a full head of hair at last :)

Thanks for reading!

Kritikaaa July 24th, 2017

@Lucy

This is amazing lucy. You've done a real great job 😍❤

OnlyDomin3 July 24th, 2017

@Lucy

I'm gonna keep this thread open, i have a friend who bites her nails and i knew a classmate who would eat his hair. This information is super useful! Thank you so much!

BlueButterfly4 July 24th, 2017

@Lucy

Awesome honors project Lucy! Thank you for this!

PhoenixAsh July 23rd, 2017

I don't have any experience with trichotillomania myself or with anyone I know, so I found this article really interesting and informative! Thank you for writing this Lucy!

SunFlower700 July 23rd, 2017

@Lucy

Thank you so much for this informative article and for sharing your own experience. heart

RaCat July 24th, 2017

@Lucy wow this was my first time hearing about trichotillomania and I was really interested while reading your post. This all sounds a bit scary and like a tough thing to deal of but I am so proud of you for being brave enough to share your personal experience in order to educate others! Thank you so much heart

LittleLotte July 24th, 2017

I have dermatillomania so some of the tips are helpful to me too. After being passed off by various doctors/therapists over the years, and many years of just hiding it, I'm finally trying to do something about it with the help of a good therapist (although she has quite a big job to do as she's helping me with so many other issues as well, it's hard for her to be able to focus just on one thing).

OnlyDomin3 July 24th, 2017

This is so important

mightyturbo July 24th, 2017

I have never heard of this until now

Amelia July 24th, 2017

@Lucy

TaranWanderer July 24th, 2017

Congrats @Lucy you did awesome on this!! I'm sure some of it might have been hard to get through due to your own experience, but I'm glad you made this post, it's an important topic that people should not be ashamed of :) (also, super proud of you for reaching out to get your own trich under control!!)

What are your experiences with trichotillomania? Share your story!

I think I have 2 ways to answer this: my only real experience with trichotillomania is a friend from high school, one day she randomly opened up to me about how she had been dealing with this for the past few years. It was my first time really hearing about it, and I (maybe stupidly) asked "but doesn't it hurt?"--I'll never forget the blank, annoyed face she made! cheeky At the time, I didn't realize my question was insensitive and didn't understand that it was a compulsion, not something she actually wanted to do. But she was patient with me :)

The second way to answer is: I don't think I have this BFRB, but often when I am stressed I pull the hairs out of my eyebrows. So many come out, and I usually can't stop until nothing else comes. But since I had learned about trichotillomania from my friend much earlier, I feel like I was better able to address what I was going through, and try my best to stop myself and do other things to express my stress. Luckily, I have never really had bald spots because of this, and I really thank being educated about it for that!

How have friends and family reacted to your disorder?

(I'll answer this based on how I reacted to my friend) After my initial not understanding, I think I reacted with kindness. I never knew she was going through this, and I wanted to be there for her. I was really glad that she felt comfortable enough to open up to me :)

Do you chose to hide the bare areas, or rock them? Why?

My friend often hid the bare areas, but sometimes she would just be herself, bald spots included :) I know that it was hard for her to rock them, but I felt so proud of her when she did!

What coping mechanisms do you use to help control the compulsions?

I had never asked my friend what coping methods she used, she didn't like to talk too much about it and I never wanted to push her. But she does seem to be in control of her compulsions lately! For myself, when I thought I felt the little urges, I would try to just distract myself until the urge passed, or I would cut little strips on paper and rip them off (sort of simulating the motions I would use on my eyebrows).

Melody293 July 24th, 2017

This is fantastic and super informational! Thank your for all the hard work you put into itsmiley

energeticGrapefruit2630 August 7th, 2017

hi :)
It's great that you've shared your story and that you've opened up a topic about trich here :)

I also have trich, but I pull mostly from my pubic areas, then legs, arms, and a bit from my eybrows. I pulled a month from my eylashes, that was when I realised that I don't have controll over pulling. I become scared that it wil become wisible and I applied for therapy. It took me few months to gather up a courage to actually apply, but it was the best decision I've made :)

I've started pulling when I was 12 or 13 years old, now I'm 24. I'm not completely pull free but my pulling time has decreesed. I used to pull about 3 or 4 hours a day but now it become about 3 hours a week.
It's kind of embaresing for me to share this 'couse i pull mostly from pubic areas and that's like something that I'm even disgusted with and I'm affraid of reactions of others... but I believe it's good to talk about something couse it can reduce the stigma.

So, a CBT therapy helped me. I've kept records about when am I pulling - which are my thoughts, feelings, how long does the episode of pulling lasts and I've worked on that with my therapist. It was difficult for me to express my emotions and maybe some of my pulling comes from there... and when I'm pulling I'm usually more able to thik about things that scare me, so I worked on my skills in dealing with problems, emotions, ect. For me, most helpful was having the list of emotions and going trought it every day and detecting and accepting emotions. Journaling and meditating/mindfulness has also helped me. Sometimes I use some rubber ball with spikes and just play with it when I want to pull, it replaces that spiky feeling I need when I want to pull.
Also, just keeping the record of when I'm pulling helped me completely reduce automatic pulling that I have been doing durning the day.
And to reduce the lenght of pulling episodes I've used some aguments.. for example if I had a thought that I will pull out just one more hair I would tell myself that I know from previous experience that this is not the case, that afterwards I will probably want to pull one more and one more and that I will feel bad so that it's better to stop right away couse if I stop I will have more time for other things I like to do and I will feel good about myself.

Not much of my friends and family knows about this. If i tell them I usually skip the part about pubic area, but I've manage to tell to one friend who happened to have the same problem and it turned out that she is pulling from same areas. It was great talking to someone who is going trough similar experience.

This is the page where I found out more about trich :)
http://www.bfrb.org/

energeticGrapefruit2630 August 7th, 2017

and just a thing I forgot to write xD
I tried not to pull as much as I could, but that didn't work out for me because that would usually result in a long pulling episode at the end and my selfesteem would just dorp after that.
I guess everyone needs to try a couple of methods and foud out which one works best for them :)
So i think it's good to share experiences with different methods :)

Frost8Paw December 13th, 2017

soo i started pulling when i was like 12 and i didnt realize i was pulling untill i almost got my whole left eyebrow. i started to resist myself from that day on but i was pulling even if it wasnt as much as i used to. i recently messed up my eyebrows again and this time i tried to stop for real, and it some how worked! i dont pull out my eyebrows anymore but now that i dont pull my eyebrows, i started focusing on my legs. it doesnt sound like a big deal since its not an area that can be seen in public but it becomes a huge problem when im trying to concentrate on school work. my urge to pull keeps me away from keeping my everyday schedule up.

resourcefulCake9143 March 27th, 2018

I need help! As far as I remember it started out as a bad habit when I was late teens maybe early 20's I can't remember but early 20's is when I first noticed a bunch of hair on the floor that I'd clean up. I'm now 25 and over the last few weeks it's gotten worse, it started with a strand here, a strand there now it's clumps of 20/30strands at once even if it's painful, I've a couple bald patches and it's so embarrassing.. but im at the point where I need help now, I also suffer from depression and on anti depressants which I don't feel are working and I'm currently waiting for an appointment with a psychotherapist so I'm on this to see if it can help before I get my appointment before I lose my mind! I'm currently sitting in my bed wearing a hat to see if it helps... I pull my hair out everyday, in bed, watching tv, in the car, at work and I really don't want work to notice that there's anything odd or wrong with me.. I haven't told my family just my boyfriend and my best friend, but you know when you feel the need to talk to someone but not someone you know.. I do wonder what a mental breakdown feels like

resourcefulCake9143 March 27th, 2018

@LittleLotte first bit of advice/tips I've gotten so thank you!

LittleLotte March 28th, 2018

@resourcefulCake9143 You're welcome! Hopefully you'll find something that works for you.

resourcefulCake9143 April 15th, 2018

So I went to a psychotherapist 2 days ago for the first time... And I feel like he isn't taking me seriously... I told him about my hair pulling and I've bald patches etc.. he says it's just a bad habit and to stop... Then he moved on to other stuff.. so I don't even know whether to go back to him or not

Dreamcatcher06 April 16th, 2018

@resourcefulCake9143

I hate that you had such a bad experience with your therapist! I too used to suffer from it in my early childhood and came to overcome it in my late teens. I had a therapist tell me that it was a bad habit and I needed to just cut it out too. I was probably 8 at the time, so I couldn't understand what was wrong with me, why I felt this way and why I was so different. From the bottom of my heart, I completely understand what you're going though. It's a long road, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm more than happy to share my story if you feel like it might help you.

resourcefulCake9143 April 16th, 2018

@Dreamcatcher06 hi, yes I would really love to know how you overcame it!

wonderfulRainbow817 July 14th, 2021

Thank you so much for sharing your story! You are an amazing and strong person! I can only imagine how difficult it is to have this condition but I commend you for taking control and wanting to take the step of not letting it control you anymore. You are so brave!heart

kindheartedLily December 15th, 2021

I'm really glad to see stuff on BFRB's here. It's something I've struggled with and I would love to get more involve on here and see trainings offered for BFRB's.