Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Trichotillomania – Where Do You Pull From?

theriverissinging October 9th, 2021

According to verywell mind (Owen Kelly, PhD, January 25, 2021), Trichotillomania (TTM), also known as hair-pulling disorder, is a condition in which the affected person repeatedly pulls out, twists out, or breaks off hair from any part of the body for non-cosmetic reasons.

People with trichotillomania can pull out hair from any and every part of their body including but not limited to -

• Scalp,

• Eyebrows,

• Eyelids/Eyelashes,

• Face (Chin, Beard, etc.),

• Nasal region,

• Pubic region,

• Armpits,

• Hands,

• Fingers,

• Legs,

• Toes,

• Stomach,

• Chest,

• Nipples,

• Back,

• Buttocks,

• Perianal region, etc.

1. Is there anything you'd want to add to the list?

2. If you have trichotillomania or any similar behaviour, what area(s) of the body do you pull hair from?

3. What feelings, thoughts or behaviours do you experience about the areas you pull from, if you do?

You're welcome to answer no/any/all questions and share anything else that you'd like to! Sending everyone love! ❤️

Tagging a few people who have been active in this forum space recently: @BlackCoffeeTears @ouiCherie @xoBeebosBubsxo @caringHope1976 @cheerfulIceCream @Nerdtastic01 @charmingHuman5049 @wonderfulRainbow817

Keep a look out for Discussions, Check Ins, Forum Posts, Games, Icebreakers, and more!

Subscribe to this post to hear about our latest events, or check out the Community Calendar!

Interested in following the Support Plus sub-community? Join our Tag List and become a subscriber of the sub-community here!

Want to join the Support Plus Leadership Team? Express your interest here! (This is not an application form, but a way to collect information so we can reach out to you accordingly ❤️)

For general feedback, about the sub-community, we're all ears.

For all other enquiries, feel free to message jovialButterfly6752.

Edited by jovialButterfly6752 on October 15th, 2021 to make minor formatting changes.

caringHope1976 October 9th, 2021

@theriverissinging

Lovely post, river. Thanks for sharing such information. ❤️

xoBeebosBubsxo October 9th, 2021

@theriverissinging

Awesome post river! Thank you :D

October 10th, 2021

@theriverissinging

This is such an informative post! Thank you so much for sharing!

wonderfulRainbow817 October 11th, 2021

Thanks for sharing this information @theriverissinging! I always am learning something new in this forum!

vlostwithyouv October 11th, 2021

Eyebrows, I feel no pain.. it is relaxing. I like pulling at the long ones.. I yank em out, then stop when I'm satisfied

theriverissinging OP October 11th, 2021

@vlostwithyouv

I get what you mean. It may bring temporary relief, definitely. A lot of people, including me, are selective about the hair they pull too. Thank you for sharing!

I hope you are doing okay. ❤️

JSA18 December 18th, 2021

Thank you for sharing this! I've struggled with Trich for 25 years and pull from my eyebrows, eyelashes, and recently my scalp. I feel relief when I pull, but intense guilt afterwards.

theriverissinging OP December 19th, 2021

@JSA18 ❤️ It can be so hard. Thank you for sharing. How have you been managing it?

beck1 March 21st, 2023

@theriverissinging

I struggle with Trich and honestly I think its now just become a habit that I need to break more than a coping mechanism. It did start as a way to cope but I think the meaning has now changed for me.

(I pick my eyebrows and have to draw them on because I have little to no hair)