Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I have trichotillomania- AMA

Monarda July 27th, 2015

Hello! Trichotillomania, in case you don't know, is an overwhelming compulsion to pull out your own hair. It doesn't really hurt, but people with trichotillomania (TTM or "trich" for short) have a super hard time controlling when they pull their hair. trich.org is a helpful website if you want to learn more about it.

(A bit about me if you want to know: My name is Olivia, I'm 13, and I'm a self-titled band geek :P)

So with that said, ask me anything!

Mmh0408 July 28th, 2015

I have that too... I didn't start pulling my hair until about 13. I'm 24 now and when I get really stressed I catch myself pulling strand by strand out..

Monarda OP July 28th, 2015

I usually focus on it rather than doing it automatically. I guess the focus of it calms me down in a way...

ashmonet August 8th, 2015

After ten years of trich, the most important thing I can say is that you shouldn't think you aren't strong for being unable to stop, trich has that way of getting into your head and making you believe that you need to pull. I hope that one day all of us will find ourselves able to tell out trich 'no. This isn't good, this isn't nice, and I'm done'

BeckyButterfly August 31st, 2015

I have this too...and my therapist managed to get me to at least redirect my pulling from my head to arms and such. Do you ever pull arm or leg hairs? My therapist seems to think it isn't a bad thing since it really isn't hurting anything. What do you think?

Monarda OP August 31st, 2015

Well, I just pull from my scalp. My parents know but they aren't getting me any help. I don't pull arm or leg hairs, and to be honest, I don't think it's a good idea because you're still pulling. But that's just my logic, and you should get to decide what's okay for you :)