Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Hello!

Jaeteuk March 28th, 2023

I was going through the entire list of Communities and found this. Looked at the description and came across a familiar term for hair-pulling. Although my tendencies to pull my hair out is not as worst as in the past, I still can't help it at times. I remember when I was younger, it'd be so bad that there were bald spots. Luckily, it was usually from the under layers, so people couldn't really tell. But because of that, I also avoided going to get haircuts until I know I've grown out my hair again. It's not as extreme now, but I'm still constantly brushing through my hair, and hair often comes out.

This was one of the reasons why I didn't like my hair long. As I got older though, my parents tell me I'll look more feminine with long hair. The longer the hair, the easier it was for me to pull it. They say when I had my hair cut short, makes me look like a tomboy and they say men won't be attracted to me. So, ever since Covid, I've kept my hair long. At least, long enough to have a short ponytail if I tie it up at the back. The other reason why I haven't been cutting it short is because I can no longer find a hairdresser close to home that knows how to cut a style that fits with the shape of my face and still look good. My current hairdresser says that I won't look good with the hair length shorter than my chin.

SolarGenerator April 1st, 2023

@Jaeteuk I'd like to understand more. Pulling hair feels like chewing my fingernails or picking at my teeth or picking at a scab. I'm struggling if it relates to nervousness, anxious anticipation, or what it might be.

Jaeteuk OP April 1st, 2023

Thank you for responding.

Umm.. Sometimes I pull my hair when I feel very anxious or nervous about something. Other times, it's whenever I brush through my hair and I feel a knot or something, I'm tempted to pull it. I usually get some split ends in my hair, so whenever I brush through it with my fingers, I'd always feel the urge to pull my hair out. At other times, there'd be no particular reason. It could just be out of boredom, and it's mostly with my left hand, so most of my hair is pulled out from the left side. I'm right-handed, but in comparison, it feels more natural to pull with my left hand instead. Even when I'm working at my computer desk, I'm constantly brushing/pulling my hair.

This habit has gotten better over the years, I try to stop myself after seeing a handful of hair in the garbage.

@KrillCactus