Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav
Community /

OCD & Related Behaviors

Create a New Thread
Gif Photo Link
OCD & Related Behaviors Automated Taglist!
by tommy
Last post
Sunday
...See more Welcome to the OCD Taglist! This thread is an auto-updating list. The list is regularly updated by forum leaders and can be found below. Having issues? Reply below and someone will help you! Why should I join the taglist? ✔ Never miss out on sub-community check-ins, discussions or events  ✔ Get tagged and notified by community leaders whenever a new relevant thread has been posted ✔ Become a more active member of the community.  What do I need to do? ✅ To add yourself to this taglist, press the Post to Thread button below and write the exact words Please add me. ❌ To remove yourself from this taglist, press the Post to Thread button below and write the exact words Please remove me. ------------------------- Current taglist
Trich or Demodex Mites?
by tealWater7555
Last post
July 25th
...See more TW: hair pulling, trichotillomania Hey, New to 7cups and the OCD 7cups community. I (26F) have a question before I head into my 2nd therapy session.  Has anyone else recently starting pulling hair? I have anxiety but I have never pulled or eaten my hair before. In January, I noticed pimples on my face had tiny hairs poking out. I tried to tweeze them out and instead pulled out a few hair splinters. Over time, I observed the hair splinters were broken full length hairs under my skin. This phenomenon has been witnessed by friends/family which reassures me. I'm not hallucinating this sensation/experience.    However, this event has led to months of madness. Through my research, I decided I had a demodex mite outbreak and starting treating the acne. The recommendations online did help my problem. We are now in July and I am still struggling.  I have an obsession over the full length hairs that cross my face and twist around each other forming pimples. I can not determine if this is an unhealthy obsession that requires a re-evaluation of my anxiety as OCD or if I just need to go to the dermatologist haha  
Does anyone find themselves…
by MartianGirl347
Last post
September 21st, 2023
...See more mindlessly pulling or picking? I sometimes zone out and then realize that there’s a pile of hair next to me. I even have a callus on my finger from my trichotillomania tendencies…
Do I have tricitilimania?
by AdventureCode345
Last post
April 2nd, 2023
...See more Hi!! I pull out my eyebrows. But I think I cld control it. I like how it feels so I do it. I also still have my eyebrows. I have a few bald spots but that’s it. Is that tricitilomania? Or is that just a random nervous habit?
Confusion
by emotionalTalker2260
Last post
April 1st, 2023
...See more I don’t know what to do.. I’m just absolutely so confused.. apparently for years :’) I’ve been engaging in pulling hair out and scratching myself to the point I get scabs, and then I go pick the scabs.. recently I found out that it is Dermatillomania and Trichotillomania but like. I’m just so lost and confused.. and its really bad at the moment and idk, I don’t know what to do. Its never been this bad..
Hello!
by Jaeteuk
Last post
April 1st, 2023
...See more I was going through the entire list of Communities and found this. Looked at the description and came across a familiar term for hair-pulling. Although my tendencies to pull my hair out is not as worst as in the past, I still can't help it at times. I remember when I was younger, it'd be so bad that there were bald spots. Luckily, it was usually from the under layers, so people couldn't really tell. But because of that, I also avoided going to get haircuts until I know I've grown out my hair again. It's not as extreme now, but I'm still constantly brushing through my hair, and hair often comes out. This was one of the reasons why I didn't like my hair long. As I got older though, my parents tell me I'll look more feminine with long hair. The longer the hair, the easier it was for me to pull it. They say when I had my hair cut short, makes me look like a tomboy and they say men won't be attracted to me. So, ever since Covid, I've kept my hair long. At least, long enough to have a short ponytail if I tie it up at the back. The other reason why I haven't been cutting it short is because I can no longer find a hairdresser close to home that knows how to cut a style that fits with the shape of my face and still look good. My current hairdresser says that I won't look good with the hair length shorter than my chin.
Trichotillomania – Where Do You Pull From?
by theriverissinging
Last post
March 21st, 2023
...See more According to verywell mind (Owen Kelly, PhD, January 25, 2021), Trichotillomania (TTM), also known as hair-pulling disorder, is a condition in which the affected person repeatedly pulls out, twists out, or breaks off hair from any part of the body for non-cosmetic reasons. People with trichotillomania can pull out hair from any and every part of their body including but not limited to - * Scalp, * Eyebrows, * Eyelids/Eyelashes, * Face (Chin, Beard, etc.), * Nasal region, * Pubic region, * Armpits, * Hands, * Fingers, * Legs, * Toes, * Stomach, * Chest, * Nipples, * Back, * Buttocks, * Perianal region, etc. * Is there anything you'd want to add to the list? * If you have trichotillomania or any similar behaviour, what area(s) of the body do you pull hair from? * What feelings, thoughts or behaviours do you experience about the areas you pull from, if you do? You're welcome to answer no/any/all questions and share anything else that you'd like to! Sending everyone love! ❤️ Tagging a few people who have been active in this forum space recently: @BlackCoffeeTears @ouiCherie @xoBeebosBubsxo @caringHope1976 @cheerfulIceCream @Nerdtastic01 @charmingHuman5049 @wonderfulRainbow817 Keep a look out for Discussions, Check Ins, Forum Posts, Games, Icebreakers, and more! Subscribe to this post [https://www.7cups.com/forum/SupportPlus_205/SupportPlusLeadershipTeam_427/OfficialEventsThread_252881/1/#2722823] to hear about our latest events, or check out the Community Calenda [https://www.7cups.com/home/communityCalendar.php]r! Interested in following the Support Plus sub-community? Join our Tag List [https://www.7cups.com/forum/SupportPlus_205/WelcomeIntroduceYourselfHere_270/SupportPlusOfficialTagListPost_252146/]and become a subscriber of the sub-community here [https://www.7cups.com/home/supportplus/?rid=110973508]! Want to join the Support Plus Leadership Team? Express your interest here [https://forms.gle/rvJbeBMtZDdacd9HA]! (This is not an application form, but a way to collect information so we can reach out to you accordingly ❤️) For general feedback, about the sub-community, we're all ears [https://forms.gle/3pjWHDSVe2VnMpRf7]. For all other enquiries, feel free to message jovialButterfly6752 [https://www.7cups.com/@jovialButterfly6752]. Edited by jovialButterfly6752 on October 15th, 2021 to make minor formatting changes.
Peeling skin
by retrocal
Last post
March 17th, 2023
...See more Hi, I'm Sam and I'm 19. I have this horrible habit of peeling the dead skin off my lips. I've been doing this for years and I don't even notice until I look at my fingertips and notice they're covered in blood. It doesn't even hurt anymore but my lips are sort of in a cycle of dry, then peeling, then freshly peeled and bloody, then a period of looking normal, then they get dry and peel again. I can't stop peeling them because it's sort of a nervous habit thing but I really want to stop. It's like a visible sign of my anxiety and I hate it. Does anyone have any advice to help me stop? Because my lips look pretty awful most of the time :(
Skin picking tips to stop
by Liz444
Last post
November 21st, 2022
...See more Any tips/ ideas to stop picking skin
Help with Dermatillomania?
by Dermatillomania
Last post
November 7th, 2022
...See more This may be a long shot but does anyone have any strategies for curbing a skin-picking disorder? I've been picking at and chewing the skin on my fingers since I was 11. I never really saw anyone about it but it is linked with my anxiety.
Listener/Member Dermatillomania Match-Up
by miikandhoney
Last post
December 24th, 2021
...See more Hey! So I was thinking we could have a place for members to find listeners who understand their struggles with dermatillomania/skin picking disorders. Just add to the thread if you are interested, stating if you are a member who needs support or a listener who wants to support. 18+ is totally welcome as well, just make sure to note that somewhere in your post! Good luck (:
Busting some myths! (BFRBs)
by xoBeebosBubsxo
Last post
December 16th, 2021
...See more Hello everyone! I’m here with a very special post today. Did you know that this week we’re celebrating Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviors (BFRB) awareness week? That’s right, teehee! BFRB week takes place from October 01st to the 07th every year! (Image solely belongs to The BFRB Podcast) In the spirit of this year’s BFRB awareness week, I thought I’d talk about some common myths surrounding BFRB! This theme was inspired by an article published on Find Your Base, by psychologist Andrea Umbach: “What are Common Myths about Body-Focused repetitve Behaviours?”. Let’s jump right in! * BFRBs are a choice. -I wanted to touch on this one first, as I feel like this is a common myth that spans across most, if not all mental health issues. For body-focused repetitive behaviors specifically, a lot of persons are simply not aware of their behaviors to begin with. The amount of work, and focus it takes to help change these behaviours, are enormous. Someone battling this mental health condition can't turn their switch on or off for their behaviours whenever they want to. Or, “just try harder.” * BFRBs are rare. -Here’s a fact for you! Did you know, after research suggests that in North America alone, over 10 million people live with BFRB. Despite these high numbers, most usually go undiagnosed, and untreated. A lot of persons, from all over the world endure these kinds of behaviors, and have been enduring them for years. BFRB is hardly a rare mental health condition. It affects more than we think! * BRFBs are caused by Trauma and Abuse. -Boy, this is a complex one! The cause/s of BFRBs are still yet to be fully dug into, and a lot of questions still remain. However, we can surely say that research proves that it is not caused by Trauma or Abuse. While it is possible for persons who have had to go through traumatic events to have BFRBs, and there is a connection in some way, it is also possible for someone who has gone through this, to not develop any type of BFRB. Instead, studies show that a big part of the development of BFRBs are through genetics, passing down from family member to family member. * Once you have a BFRB, you also have anxiety. -These things are totally separate. A person can have both these disorders, but it doesn’t come as a pair. One can have a BFRB, with no anxiety. The interesting thing about BFRBs is that they don’t only help to relieve stress, but they also help stimulate a person. Umbach quotes “Others feel bored, and the behavior stimulates them. Some feel angry and the behavior settles them down.” * BFRBs are a form of self-harm/lead to self-harm. -The presence of a BFRB, doesn’t increase the likeliness of someone self-harming. Self-harm can be termed the purposeful production of pain, whereas persons with BFRBs don’t aim to give themselves pain. Persons with this disorder report that they’re not even aware that they’re doing it a lot of times. Yes, persons with BFRBs are looking to soothe some sort of negative emotion or feel pleasure in many instances, but the pain and any physical damage that comes after that is not wanted or is the objective. * There is no treatment available for BFRBs. -Over the years, many therapists, and researchers have put the time and effort into evidence-based treatment for BFRBs. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, usually considered the recommended treatment, is a part of this, and treatment does in fact exist. With the right approach, it is possible for persons to reduce, or even stop their behavior/s. Thank you for taking the time to read! Keep a look out for Icebreakers, Check Ins, Games, Forum, Discussions, and more! Subscribe to this post [https://www.7cups.com/forum/SupportPlus_205/SupportPlusLeadershipTeam_427/OfficialEventsThread_252881/1/#2722823] to hear about our latest events, or check out the Community Calenda [https://www.7cups.com/home/communityCalendar.php]r! Interested in following the Support Plus sub-community? Join our Tag List [https://www.7cups.com/forum/SupportPlus_205/WelcomeIntroduceYourselfHere_270/SupportPlusOfficialTagListPost_252146/]and become a subscriber by clicking the blue "join this community" button here [https://www.7cups.com/home/supportplus/?rid=110973508]! Want to be a part of the Support Plus Leadership Team? Express your interest here [https://forms.gle/rvJbeBMtZDdacd9HA]! For general feedback about the sub-community, we're all ears [https://forms.gle/3pjWHDSVe2VnMpRf7]. For all other enquiries, feel free to message jovialButterfly6752 [https://www.7cups.com/@jovialButterfly6752]. Edited by jovialButterfly6752 on October 5th, 2021 to make minor formatting changes add add links about Support Plus.
Trichotillomania
by Lucy
Last post
December 15th, 2021
...See more Trichotillomania Trigger Warning- Some images or descriptions in here may be triggering to trichotillomania sufferers. Disclaimer- I am not a doctor or medically trained in any way. Everything from this article is based upon my own experience, and the sources linked at the bottom of the piece :) Every day that goes on, I have further to fall. When the strands hit the floor, I know it will take them about 6 years to grow back fully. If I say ‘oh today I feel like shaving my head, its because if I did that, the growth I would effect would be so little. This is something I will most likely have to deal with for a long time, and I know that. Trichotillomania is not something that can disappear overnight, but I am trying my hardest to not let it control me. Speaking about this is something I just needed to do. Sorry for cluttering your timelines, just I know this week isn't going to be easy.- My facebook status, 31st January 2015 No mental health problems are easy. None are simple, or ignorable. For me, for a long time, trichotillomania ruled my life. But it no longer does. Trichotillomania (also known as trich or TTM) is defined as a condition where a person feels compelled to pull their hair out. It is a Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviour disorder (BFRB). Other examples of BFRBs are dermatillomania (skin picking), nail biting, and lip biting. According to the TLC Foundation, approx 2 to 4% of people experience trichotillomania in their lifetimes- it usually begins in the early teen years, and in childhood occurs equally between the genders, but by adulthood, 80-90% of sufferers are female. People can pull from anywhere- scalp, eyebrows, eyelashes and the pubic region are all common areas, but any hair can be pulled. Some people use tweezers, and others just use their hands. The hair loss is in irregular patches, unlike alopecia (an autoimmune disorder that causes hair loss) in which hair loss is in more regular shapes. Trichotillomania has a related disorder, trichophagia, which involves eating the pulled hair. This can cause hair balls called trichobezoars, which can be fatal. Along with the trichobezoars, it may additionally cause repetitive stress injuries, and carpal tunnel, simply from the repeated action. Trichotillomania also has a large crossover with other disorders - in the DSM-V (the American list of all mental illnesses and their diagnostic criteria), it is classed as a subset of OCD, which is itself a subset of anxiety. These disorders often are present alongside trichotillomania and other BFRBs. The physical hair loss can also cause low self esteem and related disorders, such as eating disorders and body dysmorphia. Triggers for hair pulling can range from stress, to boredom, to nothing - some people even pull in their sleep. Trichotillomania can be described as feeling like youre allergic to your hair - an urge that you cant control without the pull and that pop of pulling it out. Regrowing the hair can also cause issues - it can be oddly textured or coloured as the pulling can damage (and even kill) hair follicles. Regrowth can also take a very long time; some people with trichotillomania choose to shave their heads or cut their hair short - I myself got a long bob to quicken the time to regrow - growing it out to my waist would have taken years and years. Having shorter hair can also reduce pulling, as the hair is harder to hold on to - head shaving can however become a crutch, and render people unable to grow out their hair at all as they pull it all when it gets long enough to grab. I myself have suffered from trichotillomania on and off for all of my life. My friend Ella has distinct memories of me pulling my hair out in reception (first year of school, aged 4-5). I lost a lot of my hair in year 4 following some stressful family drama, and lost a lot more following my fathers suicide in February 2014. Since seeing a therapist in March 2016 and being put on medication, my pulling has significantly decreased - I now dont pull from my scalp, and rarely pull other areas. My scalp hair has since grown back, albeit damaged and a completely different hair texture (very curly ringlets versus my lightly waved hair). This all seems very scary, I understand. But trichotillomania is not some terrifying beast out to get you - it can be tamed. Currently there are very few treatments that doctors can provide that will assist with trichotillomania. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is currently the foremost recommended treatment for trichotillomania - it allows people to reverse their ‘habits and ways of thinking to stop the pulling. Some may use anti-depressants, while others use an amino acid called N-acetylcysteine, which has not been proven clinically to help, but the benefits of it have been spread via the internet. If you cant access a doctor, here are some things you can do to help yourself or others suffering from trichotillomania- One tip for overcoming trichotillomania would be to see how long you can push it before you need to "fix" whatever is out of place or irritating your compulsion. See how long you can last; think of it like a game; see how long you can do it and try to beat your score every time. Train your brain to last longer and longer, and longer, until it's not a problem anymore. Bear in mind that trichotillomania isnt necessarily a bad thing. Its just a different way of thinking. Dont beat yourself up about it. Reward yourself. Some people have bracelets which they put beads on for every day pull free, and when I had enough hair, I got a really nice haircut, so I could feel better about my hair! Finding alternative coping strategies can help. For example, some people twiddle elastic bands, or spinner rings, or special tangles (like the one in the picture on the left). Using scalp masks or dandruff shampoos - this can prevent the itchiness that can trigger pulling (this REALLY helped me, and I still use it sometimes). Dont be overly focused on being pull free. Set realistic expectations. These disorders are so so hard to get over! Video related here [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg67sgUB6sU] Join facebook groups to find like minded people! The main trichotillomania facebook group can be found here [https://www.facebook.com/groups/trichotillomania/] A great video for support can be found here [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idxWXqn6WR4] And a few questions for you all! What are your experiences with trichotillomania? Share your story! How have friends and family reacted to your disorder? Do you chose to hide the bare areas, or rock them? Why? What coping mechanisms do you use to help control the compulsions? Sources used- "What Is Trichotillomania?" The TLC Foundation for BFRBs. N.p., n.d. Web. http://bfrb.org/learn-about-bfrbs/trichotillomania "Trichotillomania." NHS Choices. NHS, n.d. Web. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/trichotillomania/pages/introduction.aspx "Trichotillomania." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichotillomania A big shoutout to @Hope @NixNixels @WonderfulPumpkin71 @Teagan and everyone else I haven't credited here for the help with my honours project! Also a shoutout to @Amelia for helping me with juggling the internship with self care and real life :) And an interesting note- all the images of hair loss used here are actually photos of me in late 2015, when I lost most of my hair :) It has all since grown back, and I have a full head of hair at last :) Thanks for reading!
Community Leaders
Community Mentor Leader