Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Mindfulness activities?

hegilbert July 11th, 2020

Hi.

My name is Hudson and I am 19 years old. I am writing to ask if anyone could please provide me with information regarding mindful activities? I am ultimatley seeking alternatives for meditation for the time being...

I just such a significant difficulty with idleness, sitting still without something to focus my brain on leaves me feeling detached into a whirpool of anxious noise. I understand that part of the learning curve to achieve meditation involves bearing with the idleness and accepting it. However, I feel like a necessary step to achieve before I get to such a point would be to find more active mindful excercises.

I should clarify; by active, I do not mean elaborate exercises specifically (albeit that would be very much appreciated too, please), but just simply something that involves doing. It is in such physical movement that promotes a more comfortable sense of internal movement within my mind. I apologize, I hope that what I am asking for is making sense.

Please, if it is not too much to ask for, I would be so appreciative if I could advice on mindfulness activities.

Thank you.

Rosa9570 July 11th, 2020

Hi Hudson! It's great that you're getting into mindfulness! I've found it so helpful over the years for managing difficult emotions. And I understand completely how difficult it can be to simply sit. This might be a controversial opinion but I think that for some people, mindful activity is more beneficial than forcing themselves to do sitting meditation. It's normal to find sitting meditation difficult, so don't be too hard on yourself. Any meditation is better than no meditation. If something is worth doing, it's worth doing badly.

In terms of mindful activity, any activity can be mindful so I would suggest that you try things that you enjoy. Some common ones I've found helpful are things like mindful walking/movement (including yoga), mindful art/colouring in (depends on how comfortable you are being creative - if I'm anxious, I find it hard to create something from scratch so the colouring in is good then), mindful cleaning or cooking, or washing myself (being mindful in the shower), gardening. But it really can be anything! So I'd suggest try being mindful as you go about your day. Engage your senses, become absorbed in whatever you're doing. Good luck, and give yourself credit for taking care of yourself!

8Lotuss November 29th, 2020

if being mindful is just meditaion. they won't of gave it a different state. with different attributes. that is the thought i had when i read both posts earlier. thanks