Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

In what specific ways (or situations) has mindfulness helped you?

sereneSunset26 December 20th, 2021

Hey all,

So I've beaten around the bush in regards to mindfulness in the other forums, but not so much in-depth.

When I was going through therapy the second time, that particular therapist introduced me to the concepts of mindfulness and meditation. And specifically, meditations that promoted (or were just plain based on) mindfulness as a whole.

As I've practiced mindfulness for a few years now, I've noticed it kick in pretty much automatically for me. Which is nice, because in certain conversations or situations, it really has saved me from just as automatically reacting to something purely based on how I was/am feeling.

So yeah, I feel like mindfulness has basically given me a sort of executive function of when and how I want to act (or not act) on my feelings or emotions in a given situation.

How has mindfulness helped in your life?

halcyonCloud2036 December 21st, 2021

@sereneSunset26

Thank you for sharing your mindfulness journey. For me, I have found that it really helps me when I am starting to feel overwhelmed by being pulled in many different directions between work, home and social life. Sometimes when I feel like I can't possibly do everything I need to do, I step back and do one of my mindfulness exercises and just...breathe.

sereneSunset26 OP December 21st, 2021

@halcyonCloud2036

You're welcome!!

And yeah, there's a reason why breathing is essential to meditation. For me, controlling my breath is so grounding because it reminds me that, no matter, what I am in control of myself and how I want to react.

With all of the various stimuli out there hitting us everyday, I feel like it takes something of a concerted effort to take that step back and breathe--literally and figuratively.