Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Can mindfulness help with a sensitivity to loud noises

September 20th, 2021

I can mindfulness help with a sensitivity to loud noises?

if some can I have some links that can help with it?

QuietMagic September 21st, 2021

@Hopeforfuture12

I was able to find some research showing that among people with sensory processing sensitivity (SPS), those who scored high in dispositional mindfulness had less anxiety.

Here's an anecdotal perspective from a mindfulness meditation teacher suffering from a sensory processing disorder indicating that certain types of mindfulness practices actually made her own sensory issues worse by further increasing her sensitivity. At the suggestion of her teacher, she ended up opting for movement-based practices instead of sitting meditation practices.

Cognitive-behavioral therapy (e.g. systematic desensitization, exposure therapy) and mindfulness-based approaches have been used with some success as treatment modalities for misophonia (condition where people are annoyed by specific everyday noises).

Personally, I've gotten the most benefit from general physical self-care practices that generally increase my ability to tolerate stress (e.g. getting enough sleep, eating healthy, exercising); giving myself quiet time/peace to recover from stressful situations; being aware of when I'm getting burned out (and protecting myself if I'm reaching that point); accepting that my personal limits/reactions are sometimes different than other people; and just generally trying to be really gentle/kind to myself since that feels good and helps me recover.

exquisitePeace7976 December 19th, 2021

@Hopeforfuture12

I wonder the same .. I will research the question

comfortableNight4463 December 19th, 2021

@Hopeforfuture12 Interesting question. I feel like mindfulness can help "ignore" noises if that makes sense.