Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Opinions Please

EirwenAri September 2nd, 2023

I am nonbinary transmasc and bisexual. I am also the eldest "daughter" of a very homophobic and transphobic pastor. My parents have nothing but love for me, which I'm very, very blessed to have. However, through trying to state-the-topic-while-avoiding-the-topic, I know that they would not take it lightly if I were to come out of the closet. Conversion therapy or camp would probably happen, if not a guilt trip by them in the form of "you're not comfortable in your own body, just accept it, it's a phase" (it is not thank you)

I am still in high school, but I pose this question:

When should I come out? Should I come out at all?

It would be nice to be stopped called "she" and "daughter" when those are not terms that fit me anymore. Even if those continue to be used it would be AMAZING to be able to wear my pronoun pins in public without being afraid someone who knows my dad will tell, or to at least not face as much fear around talking about it with others (always adding "oh but if my family is around-"), or dressing more androgynous and being able to cut my hair really short like I've wanted.

I'm scared to come out, but it's suffocating not to do so.

Help please?

EirwenAri OP September 2nd, 2023

@politeGrapefruit1800

There is a GSA club at my school thankfully. I have come out to my friends, who have been incredibly supportive. Coming out when 18 is probably a good idea, yeah, thank you