Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Dating apps for a hopeless romantic: a futile quest?

determinedHouse4883 December 25th, 2021

Hello! I’m a hopeless romantic, grew-up-in-conservative-household biromantic lesbian (at least that’s the label that fits me best right now, but I’m still young, so it’ll probably adjust as I grow). I live at a university that’s still very conservative in policy. And I have zero ability to determine whether someone is gay just based on looks or vibe or whatever: when a friend comes out to me it’s always a surprise.

This combo is problematic when it comes to finding a girlfriend, as I would very much like to. My desire to - for lack of a better word - woo a girl, or court her and befriend her before maybe taking it further, makes me shy away from dating apps that seem too sex-based. But it’s always risky to ask a girl out in person at my university, because again: the All-Seeing Conservative Policy forbids such heinous actions.

Does anyone have dating app recommendations? I know about Tinder but that’s pretty much it - and from my understanding, that’s definitely falling into the hook up category.

If I don’t get any suggestions, I’ll go with plan B of dropping bucketloads of hints until maybe another girl is braver than me and asks me out instead 😂

Thank you for reading :)

Mashedpotato364 December 30th, 2021

Hi I come from a conservative place too. I ended up moving away for more than just that reason. The app I use is called Her. Hinge is ok too. But I feel like Her has more indepth profiles and shows you what other people are looking for instead of having to match w people and having to ask them what kind of relationship they are wanting

determinedHouse4883 OP December 31st, 2021

Thank you so much! That sounds like a good option. I’ll look into it :)

Ninjakeep9 January 13th, 2022

I had this same issue! Not just at my university, but at my home and home town as well because I grew up in a very conservative area. Sometimes I just got lucky when I met someone at college or when I went out with friends and some of the time I used dating apps. Just be careful of the catfish haha I used POF and have met people before from around my area. I’ve had successful dates and gf’s from it as well. Hang in there! It is hard being a shy girl and making the first move in a conservative area. Just continue being yourself and a romantic and you won’t have a problem. Girls like respectful, caring, and kind women. 🙂