Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Confused About a Recent Breakup

helloPomegranate4677 November 10th, 2020

I recently dealt with a breakup. Basically we had dated 4 years ago for only a couple of months. A few years ago, everything was going ok and then out of nowhere she broke it off because she said she wasn't ready for a relationship. Fast forward to June of this year and we started talking again and then started dating shortly after. She contacted me first and said she missed me and it went from there. She seemed like she was ready for a relationship this time but after dating for 5 months, she broke it off again, yesterday. Everything was going fine and if it wasn't going fine for her, she never let me know. We had deep conversations, we talked about everything, we laughed, we really connected. She even told me that she thought we had great chemestry. She invited me out with her friends a few times and she even introduced me to her sister, so it's not like things wern't progressing in our relationship. She was very romantic and would get me flowers. She even got me a picture frame with pictures of us in it. I did romantic things for her like that also. I made dinner one night and decorated my place with candles and I thought it was really romantic. There were some concerning things as far as sex goes however. I wanted to have sex with her but she seemed like she was very shy and I never wanted to force anything if she didn't feel comfortable. I realize that for some people, intimate time takes time. Finally we had sex a couple weeks ago and it was amazing and there were sparks and it was really good. I had an orgasm and so did she. But we only had sex that one time. She never gave any indication that she didn't like it. Then out of nowhere about a week ago, she randomly asked me what I thought about a polyamoraous relationship. I told her I wasn't into that at all and that I just wanted to be with her. She told me it was just a question, and assured me that she gets not everyone was into it and that she was commited to me, and that she was just curious if I had ever thought about it. But she should have been up front with me from the beginning if that's what she wanted then.

Well then, yesterday, she broke it off...through text...that she can't see it working out and that she doesn't know what she wants.

I am now left feeling heart broken.

My question is, did I do something wrong? I mean I tried to give her time with sex and seemed like she liked it and I thought I was good. Obviously it's not just about sex, but I thought we had an emotional connection too. Do you think she just wanted a polyamorous relationship? If that is the case, then why would she string me along for months and call me her girlfriend and give no indication that she wanted to be with anyone else but me? I'm just confused and hurt. Are a lot of lesbians like this? Please help. Sorry this was so long.

fairmindedOcean8132 November 11th, 2020

There are a couple of things that I see in your post that I think I can shed some light on, based on my own limited experience.

As for "are a lot of lesbians like this", there are two things you might know by now:

1. Lesbian relationships can become emotionally deep very quickly.

2. Women are often more quick to break up when things are going merely "fine" or there is the first sign of an incompatibility than a man would in a similar relationship (probably because we tend to invest more of ourselves in it).

However, I can also glean this much about your specific circumstance: there was something your girlfriend either didn't want or was afraid to tell you, and after 5 months she shouldn't have broken up with you over text.

As for what this precise thing is, I don't know, and unless she tells you later you may never know, and unfortunately this is the case of many breakups.

You mention that after the first time you had sex, she asked you about a polyamourous relationship. From my experience, most women don't want this. But also like I said, lesbian relationships can become emotionally deep early on. It's simply our nature, and the nature of women. It can be the best thing about a good relationship, but it also opens the door to a lot of heartbreak, equivalent to what a woman might more likely feel after losing a boyfriend she had been dating twice as long.

Was this the first serious relationship for either of you? I think - and I'm just guessing here - that it's likely she had been uncertain how she felt about you in a romantic, sexual aspect. This could have started before you became intimate. She could have even been hopnig that having sex with you would clarify her feelings. But afterwards, she realizes that she isn't "in love" with you enough to commit to a longer relationship. Because she cares for you as a person (emotional depth!) and likes having some kind of relationship with you, she proposes polyamory to see if she can explore other sexual partners without losing you, so to speak. But you reject that, as you have every right to, and she ends it.

Like I said, this is just a guess. I think that after five months, she should have broken up with you face-to-face. Maybe she thought her reasoning was too hard to say, or too hurtful. It's very hard to tell somebody you're not attracted to them. I think most people would rather be told "I just don't think we'll have any lasting chemistry" than be left to wonder. But she didn't tell you, so there's no real way to know, and that isn't any fault of yours.

So, to answer your question: no, most women do not just up and leave; but lesbian breakups hurt hard. But relationships are also wonderful. I think there was some incompatibility here on her side and that she just isn't the right girl for you. If anything, work on taking things a bit more slow and being more self-sufficient in your next relationship. You sound like a loving and empathetic person, and there's no reason to give up.

fairmindedOcean8132 November 11th, 2020

@fairmindedOcean8132

I can't figure out how to delete/edit posts. Please bear with me.

In answer to your FINAL question that I somehow missed, no, you did not do anything wrong. This relationship just didn't work out. It happens. Sometimes the other person just doesn't know what they want or isn't ready. I've been there, too, and it's hard. And I don't think she was "stringing you along" by wanting an open relationship from the start; I think she was trying to find a compromise within herself. But polyamory from what I've seen comes with its own host of problems and shouldn't be the way to "save" a relationship.