Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

One of the saddest days of my life…

RexG February 13th, 2020

Hello there!

I am an aromantic asexual, and yesterday, I visited my best friend. Everything was going great, their (singular) family was so nice and we had so much fun. Until I left. Then all hell broke loose. Their family started picking on them, asking why we're not in a romantic-sexual relationship, that I'm using them, am handicapped… I just don't believe this. I am crying right now, after talking to my bff… I can't believe it was all pretense. And most of all stings the fact that they aren't listening to my bff, their own family, at all, pushing their own wishes and desires on them. When I realised that I was different, I didn't expect it to impact other people as well… I know how it feels to be misunderstood, but this I did not expect.

Thank you for reading this, I really appreciate it, and I hope you won't have to go through this.

RexG OP February 13th, 2020

I am so grateful to have a best friend like that in my life. I just don't understand their family…

AMusicalSilence February 29th, 2020

Hey there @RexG heart Its been a while since you posted this - how are you doing?

Im so sorry youve had to cope with this, it mustve been really hard to hear how your friends' families were being so unpleasant sad It seems really odd for them to have been saying things like that - on one hand it does seem as though being asexual/aromantic is still not very well understood, but at the same time, what happened to people just being able to be friends? Not only the unreasonableness of what they were saying, but for them to have been behaving so differently when you were there, I can imagine it would be really quite distressing to later find out it was all an act.

As great as it can be to be close with both a friend and to be welcomed by that friends family, sometimes it is best to keep your friendship away from the home - some people just dont seem to have any boundaries or respect for others choices in relationships and that is really only down to them. I hope that things have improved for you and your friend since then heart

RexG OP March 1st, 2020

@AMusicalSilence

Hey,

Thank you for your reply and support 😊. The situation seems better now that my friend explained everything patiently; however, their family won't be seeing me anytime soon. I am definitely better, and although it has been tough, acceptance of it has helped a lot.

Thanks again, and have a nice day!

AMusicalSilence March 1st, 2020

@RexG No worries at all heart I'm glad to hear that things have improved!