Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: Understanding Your Gifts and Strengths from the MBTI (Discussion 2)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-
Hello Leadership Crew!

I have just gone through the introduction thread and read about all of you. If you havent yet introduced yourself, then please stop by and share a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Im encouraged by all the great people that have joined. This should be a fun and enriching program!

Let me first zoom back and talk more broadly about your career and how we can help. When you become a leader on 7 Cups, we want you to find the work fulfilling. Fulfilling work means that it is:

a) work you are good at;
b) work that is interesting to you; and
c) work that solves an important problem or meets an important goal (Thiel, 2015).

The sweet spot is that blue area in the middle below.

Work Alignment Diagram

If you do work that you are good at, but not interested in, then you wont do a great job. If you do work that you are interested in, but not particularly good at, then it wont be great work. If you do work that you are good at and interested in, but it isnt helping to solve an important problem, then we wont be a good fit for you. We need alignment on all 3 things. We work very hard at the beginning of your work with us to match your inherent strengths and interests with needs we have so that we can work together to solve problems that we all care about.

You have strengths â things that you are just really good at when compared with others. Operating out of your strengths feels good, is personally fulfilling, and enables you to hit flow states. As a result, you are much more effective and productive. Operating out of weaknesses is a drain. If you have to do work that you are not good at, then you wont be as effective. Doubling down on your strengths enables you to level up much faster and it helps 7 Cups make much more progress. Â

The next step becomes helping you find ways to identify your strengths, gifts or natural talents. You can learn some of this through self-observation - what do you seem especially good at? Are there things that just come natural to you that are more challenging for others? My wife, for example, is really good at writing; it just comes natural to her. Im pretty good at public speaking, whereas others find it more challenging.

Another way is to ask people you trust. You can say: What do you think Im good at? Or: what do you think are my top 1-3 strengths? Things that stand out to you about me? Note: only ask people you trust because sometimes people can give you feedback in a harmful rather than helpful way especially if they are not trustworthy.

For the purposes of this course, we are going to use personality tests to help you identify your strengths. Some of these are better than others; they are more reliable and have more research behind them. Broadly, we are using them here to help you begin to map out your strengths and to help you find ways where you can naturally excel here on 7 Cups, in your personal life, and in whatever career your are in or choose further down the road.

To start:

Go to this site here and take the test: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Next, in the thread below, answer the following questions:

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please Â

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Last, when people interact with one another, it makes the course more enriching and it allows us to learn more about one another. In addition to posting in the thread, please also be sure to respond in a helpful and positive way to at least 3 other comments in this thread.

You can also ask any questions in this thread and well respond to them as well.

Very excited to kick this off with all of you!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

SweetDreamer69 April 12th, 2021

You've really amazing personality and strength! All the best with the journey ❤

generouswings April 7th, 2021

@GlenM

Hey!

My personality type is ENFP-T

My personality traits are Extraverted, Intutive, Prospecting, Turbulent

My role is that of a diplomat and my strategy is social engagement.

I learnt a lot from this. I never knew that I'll know about my personality in the form of a test. This was super interesting. I had never asked these questions to myself, hence I got to know about myself too. The questions made me think a lot, and that's a very good thing in itself.

loveagape April 11th, 2021

I'm a protagnonist: ENFJ-A

I am 82% extraverted, 58% intuitive, 60% feeling, 71% juudging, 51% assertive.

confidentpanda April 11th, 2021

@loveagape That's so cool! Do you think that type suits you?

confidentpanda April 11th, 2021

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please

I am a turbulent mediator, or INFP-T

I learned that I strive to create peace and end conflict, something I do see in myself looking back, but never realized.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Empathy - can feel others emotions, thoughtful and kind as to not hurt others.

Generous - like to share their good fortune and uplift others

Creative - drawn to creative activities

Cristen April 12th, 2021

@Lww873
Hello classmate!
Being both emphatic and generous are great traits to have XP that's something I still gotta improve on personally.
They really help with being a good active Listener smiley

EmpathicPikachu April 11th, 2021

Hello Glenn,

I hope you alongwith other lovely people reading this post, are doing great. I must say it was a great exercise to learn few things about myself which I did not know were there and it felt great to learn about them. So, the answers to your questions are:

INTP-A : Logician

I learned that I happen to be good at analysing things, curious and also I tend to follow logic in many ways. I think myself as someone who can follow logic and emotion in a healthy way so, it was something new to learn. I also tend to keep my friend circles small (also true) because I tend to be more reserved and aloof in some ways. There are some weaknesses which I learned about myself and they are true like me being introvert in a way and having a shy personality.

a) Being curious : I am naturally a curious person thats why Sci Fiction attracts me alot really. Everything about the world and universe itself makes me curious. I spend alot of time daydreaming about random stuff happening all around us. I also like to think about how and why people do things in a certain way.

b) Open Minded : I am really open minded person. I was not before but somehow going through medical school changed me in ways without knowing. I have become a far less judgemental of other people. This has helped me to become more patient and calmer in a way. I do voice my opinions but not in setting where they are not meant to be shared which I believe helped me alot growing as a person.

c) Analytical : I do get analytical of things, emotions and thoughts. I always found it helpful in building trustworthy relationships and happen to be surrounded by good people who bring positivity.

Thank you for reading.

Cheers!

Cristen April 12th, 2021

@EmpathicPikachu
Hello classmate! We're like one letter different from each other! INTP and ISTP laugh
I sometimes get INTP as well but I always come back to ISTP whenever I take the MBTI personality test.
Curiosity is a pretty dominant trait of mine too cheeky

Cristen April 12th, 2021

ISTP-A (Virtuoso)

I've actually taken this test a couple of times before last year and found that I could really relate to a lot of the traits of the Virtuoso personality type. The main things I've learnt about myself would be that I am individualistic, that I have a very 'do unto others' attitude and am assertive.

Optimistic & Energetic
I can be pretty approachable with my silliness and childishness! I rarely get stressed out and usually go with the flow.

Creative & Practical
I enjoy hands-on activities i.e. being able to create or just take something apart to figure out how it works. I have to say however that instead of taking apart inanimate objects, I like to observe, learn and understand how people work or differentiate from each other when it comes to their emotions, personalities, life experiences and choices.

Spontaneous & Rational
I can also adapt myself depending on most situations.

amiableFig7651 April 12th, 2021

Hello, I am starting a fresh here, what is ISTP. I don't know how to start! Please help

amiableFig7651 April 12th, 2021

@GlenM

Well it's nearly close to what i would have guessed, INFP -T , I am Introverted, Shy, mind my business, I loved this test, the questions were like straight to soul.

SweetDreamer69 April 12th, 2021

1. My personality type is ENFJ - T (Protagonist) 2. Main things that I learned about myself is I need to learn how to be more confident and not let me emotions actually get the best of me sometimes. 3. Top 3 strengths/gifts according to this test would be: a) Natural leaders b) Tolerant c) Reliable

compassionateTree4567 April 17th, 2021

@GlenM

ISFJ/ISFP

That I am very detailed

Hardworking

perseverance

honest

loveagape April 18th, 2021

ENFJ-T

I've changed over some weeks.

tolerant, reliable, charismatic, altruistic, and natural leaders.

MarleyR April 18th, 2021

@loveagape I love that you're reliable. It's a great quality in an active listener.

MarleyR April 18th, 2021

I discovered I am still an INTJ-A. The test says I am eighty four percent introverted and sixteen percent extroverted. This is definitely accurate because most of my friends are internet friends. I learned I am mostly intuitive, thinking, and assertive.

MarleyR April 18th, 2021

@MarleyR I am a very logical person and good with data and helping others. I also have a photographic memory so I memorized all the USA presidents when I was eight.

giggleZebra2708 April 19th, 2021

1. What is your personality type?

My personality type is ENFP - T, abbreviation of Extroverted,Intuition,Feeling and Perception . Also known as a Turbulent campaigner,

2. What were the main things you learnt about yourself

I personally believe that I just read a detailed summary of my characteristics and traits. Each trait mentioned here, my strengths and weaknesses and the way I tend to deal with relationships are actually reflections of my true self and traits that I have been following for quite some time now. My career pathways mentioned in the test were jobs that had to deal with a lot of communication like being a social worker, actor, counsellor. This is appropriate as I am leaning towards psychology as a career option in the near future.

3. What are your top three strengths or gifts according to this test ?

According to this test it's being curious, observant and energetic/enthusiastic. I would consider myself to be quite curious and I am open to trying a lot of new things and making way for new and bold changes in my life. Curiosity has taught me valuable lessons and important pointers which I will take forward with me as I am progressing in life. Observant in an important trait that I identify myself with a lot, this has taught me to be cautious of my surroundings and to take note of even the smallest thing around me. Being energetic and enthusiastic allows me to share my immediate findings and happenings to the people around me and this has allowed me to grow my social circle.

reliablePomegranate7448 April 22nd, 2021

@GlenM

INFJ

(i) I am very much introverted

(ii) I hold honesty, trust and freedom very high

(iii) I am intuitive

(i) Highly empathetic: I can absorb the emotions of everyone around me. The more closer that person is to me, the stronger I get the feelings. It is sometimes overwhelming, but it is a unique thing.

(ii) Integrity: I don't act different when someone is watching or not watching. I admit my mistakes frankly and don't hide them.

(iii) Intuition: I can sense when someone close to me is missing me or when something is not going to be right. I trust my gut feelings.

FeatherIce25 April 23rd, 2021

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type?

My personality type according to the given website is ENFP-A

I realised that I am fiercely independent. I have always known that about myself but this test did give it in black and white. I also have a habit to working dangerously close to an on-coming deadline, I want to work on that and make myself create scehdules and follow them. On the bright side, I am flexible and adaptable to change which I believe is helpful in stressful situations.

According to the test my strengths are-

Curious - I am always ready to venture out and try something new. I am fine with getting out of my comfort zone and explore new things.Curiousity is the essence of human existence to me.

Observant - I think observation is a great teacher for anything in life. To pay attention on what is happeing around you makes you much more self assured and the chances of making a mistake are minimised.

Good Communicators - All these ideas in head become meaningless if not expressed correctly to the right people. Being good with communication allows me send a clear message and flexibility allows me to be comfortable with both small talk and deep, meaningful conversations.

Banjothebudgie May 3rd, 2021

@FeatherIce25

It is such an amazing trait to be curious.

May 11th, 2021

Hi @FeatherIce25! It seems like our personality types are almost complete opposite. I am a Turbulent Defender, ISFJ-T. The only common trait we share is feeling over thinking. It was interesting to read your strengths and see how they're similar yet different from mine.

peacefulIris56 May 16th, 2021

@FeatherIce25

Having curiosity, being observant and having good communication are excellent strengths to have.

May 17th, 2021

@FeatherIce25 Paying attention to what is happening, and being flexible to adapt to the changing needs, sound two very good qualities!

FlourishingDimensions June 20th, 2021

@FeatherIce25 Wow! What cool results. What did you think of this? Did you feel it was fairly accurate? I relate to your comment about working dangerously close to an on-coming deadline. That is 100% me. I always hit it, finish it on time though! Every time!

AndyLV June 28th, 2021

@FeatherIce25

Hello! I am Andy and I really enjoyed reading your post. I think it is really nice being independent and a lot wish they could have that. I hope you are having a wonderful time doing this course! :)

Enbyowl April 26th, 2021

My personality type is:
Advocate
INFJ-T

I am an interovert, intuitive, emotional and emphatic person who loves helping others, gets sad often and sensitive to peoples behaviour. But still manages to handle the emotional ups and downs.

Main things I learned about myself is:
I have a very unique combination of personality traits which is good because it makes me versatile.

My top three strengths/gifts according to the test:

Imagination, sensitivity and creativity

shallowWater7547 May 3rd, 2021

@positiveTurtles

heyyy! I'm INFJ-T too and some of my traits are like you

@positiveTurtles

I'm glad to see that you like to help others

Brinaa101 June 3rd, 2021

@positiveTurtles

Hey! I’m an introvert as well and emphatic too! I think it’s really important to balance emotions so it’s really good you are able to handle the emotional ups and downs! :)

Suryansh April 27th, 2021

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters, please.
My personality type is INFJ-A.

I am more introverted and intuitive which means I prefer solitary activities and get exhausted by social interaction and tend to be quite sensitive to external stimulation (e.g. sound, sight, or smell) in general. I am imaginative, open-minded, and curious. I prefer novelty over stability and focus on hidden meanings and future possibilities. My nature is mostly feeling-based and tactics are judging. I am sensitive and emotionally expressive. I am more empathic and less competitive than Thinking types and focus on social harmony and cooperation. I am decisive, thorough, and highly organized. I value clarity, predictability, and closure, preferring structure and planning to spontaneity. My identity is Assertive which means I am self-assured, even-tempered, and resistant to stress. I refuse to worry too much and do not push myself too hard when it comes to achieving goals.

1. I am soft-spoken and kind-hearted, but do not mistake them for pushovers! I hold strong values and opinions and advocate for what I believe in. I am decisive and am able to see the big picture when presented with a complex situation. I am goal-oriented, genuine, responsible, and caring. I firmly believe in other people, almost to a fault, and am very altruistic. I primarily focus on what’s going on around them and am especially concerned with the well-being of others. I am always willing to help others when needed and enjoy doing so. I form deep relationships with those close to them.

2. I am insightful, future-oriented, and conscientious. I have a vision for the future and have a decisive plan about the best means of meeting these goals. I make decisions by going with my gut. My values play a large role in driving your decision-making processes, and I always try to act in accordance with their values.

3. My secondary focus is internal, where I make judgments based primarily on my intuition. I operate largely internally and am able to see the “big picture” very easily. I am able to understand things through their strong sense of intuition, and often can’t pinpoint specific reasons. Regarding the outer world, I am highly organized and am able to handle several projects simultaneously. I am excellent at setting priorities and developing plans.

Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

Ethan May 10th, 2021

@SuryanshSingh Hi Surya! Our personality types are almost polar opposite! I am a Turbulent Entertainer, ESFP-T. The only common trait we share is Feeling over Thinking. It was nice to read about your strengths as an INFJ-A and to see how similar and different we are.

May 17th, 2021

@SuryanshSingh Sounds good that you focus on social harmony and cooperation and are organised with work!

Brinaa101 June 3rd, 2021

@SuryanshSingh

Hey! I’m soft-spoken and kind-hearted as well! I think it’s really important to be decisive and be future-oriented so you can help make the world a better place! It’s an underrated skill to have but so crucial to success! :)

FawkesCare12 April 28th, 2021

Hello to all the personalities :)

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters, please

INFJ-T (Advocate)

In addition to the strengths given below, the test showed something I’ve always wanted to improve on. That is being too sensitive and not understanding that it is not possible to always please everyone.

Insightful – being able to understand how someone is truly feeling and what they need.

Principled- having deep beliefs and not wavering in them. However, I’ve found that this can be a weakness too.

Altruistic- aiming to work towards the greater good and thinking about how our actions affect others.

shallowWater7547 May 3rd, 2021

Hiii @FawkesCare12

I'm INFJ-T too

It's nice to see another person with same personality.

FawkesCare12 May 3rd, 2021

@shallowWater7547

Hello fellow INFJ. Glad to meet you, too

@FawkesCare12

It's great to see people working for the greater good. Thank you.

FawkesCare12 May 16th, 2021

@peacefulIris56

Likewise. Good to meet someone trying to make a difference in the world :)

May 17th, 2021

@FawkesCare12 It sounds smart to work towards the greater good while thinking about how our actions affect others. Inspires harmony in one's own heart and in the world!