Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: Understanding Your Gifts and Strengths from the MBTI (Discussion 2)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-
Hello Leadership Crew!

I have just gone through the introduction thread and read about all of you. If you havent yet introduced yourself, then please stop by and share a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Im encouraged by all the great people that have joined. This should be a fun and enriching program!

Let me first zoom back and talk more broadly about your career and how we can help. When you become a leader on 7 Cups, we want you to find the work fulfilling. Fulfilling work means that it is:

a) work you are good at;
b) work that is interesting to you; and
c) work that solves an important problem or meets an important goal (Thiel, 2015).

The sweet spot is that blue area in the middle below.

Work Alignment Diagram

If you do work that you are good at, but not interested in, then you wont do a great job. If you do work that you are interested in, but not particularly good at, then it wont be great work. If you do work that you are good at and interested in, but it isnt helping to solve an important problem, then we wont be a good fit for you. We need alignment on all 3 things. We work very hard at the beginning of your work with us to match your inherent strengths and interests with needs we have so that we can work together to solve problems that we all care about.

You have strengths â things that you are just really good at when compared with others. Operating out of your strengths feels good, is personally fulfilling, and enables you to hit flow states. As a result, you are much more effective and productive. Operating out of weaknesses is a drain. If you have to do work that you are not good at, then you wont be as effective. Doubling down on your strengths enables you to level up much faster and it helps 7 Cups make much more progress. Â

The next step becomes helping you find ways to identify your strengths, gifts or natural talents. You can learn some of this through self-observation - what do you seem especially good at? Are there things that just come natural to you that are more challenging for others? My wife, for example, is really good at writing; it just comes natural to her. Im pretty good at public speaking, whereas others find it more challenging.

Another way is to ask people you trust. You can say: What do you think Im good at? Or: what do you think are my top 1-3 strengths? Things that stand out to you about me? Note: only ask people you trust because sometimes people can give you feedback in a harmful rather than helpful way especially if they are not trustworthy.

For the purposes of this course, we are going to use personality tests to help you identify your strengths. Some of these are better than others; they are more reliable and have more research behind them. Broadly, we are using them here to help you begin to map out your strengths and to help you find ways where you can naturally excel here on 7 Cups, in your personal life, and in whatever career your are in or choose further down the road.

To start:

Go to this site here and take the test: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Next, in the thread below, answer the following questions:

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please Â

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Last, when people interact with one another, it makes the course more enriching and it allows us to learn more about one another. In addition to posting in the thread, please also be sure to respond in a helpful and positive way to at least 3 other comments in this thread.

You can also ask any questions in this thread and well respond to them as well.

Very excited to kick this off with all of you!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

December 18th, 2020

I truly think people should stand up for what they Believe In to make a different . @Mishi1053

Ines1229 December 8th, 2020

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please .

INFP-T (Turbulent Mediator)

I`m an altruist and have a vivid imagination. I`m very creative and my imagination helps me get through certain issues!

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

- I`m thoughtful: Mediators care about other`s feelings

- I`m open-minded: I tend to give other people the benefit of the doubt.

- I`m creative: Mediators can often see things from unconventional perspectives.

FeatherIce25 April 23rd, 2021

@Ines1229

It is wonderful that you keep an open mind and creativity is something everyone desires. :)

LightofWorld December 13th, 2020

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please

My type is INFJ <3

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself?.

Having a sense of idealist but actually taking concert steps towards it not just stopping at daydreaming.Yes, I agree,

1.Creative – Advocate personalities enjoy finding the perfect solution for the people they care about. To do this, they draw on their vivid imagination and their strong sense of compassion. This can make them excellent counselors and advisors.

2.Insightful – Advocates typically strive to move past appearances and get to the heart of things. This can give them an almost uncanny ability to understand people’s true motivations, feelings, and needs.

3.Altruistic – Advocates generally aim to use their strengths for the greater good – they rarely enjoy succeeding at other people’s expense. They tend to think about how their actions affect others, and their goal is to behave in a way that will help the people around them and make the world a better place.

December 18th, 2020

I think. That will help you go far on cups . Best of luck. @LightofWorld

January 18th, 2021

@LightofWorld

Oh! heart I am Advocate INFJ too. *high fives* I hope these strengths help you both in your personal and professional journey. All the best.

beautifulSeal9714 December 14th, 2020

@GlenM

The test was real fun and gave put interesting results, here are my results :

1. My personality is Advocte INFJ-A

2. I learned that Advocates are rarest personalities of all and that they have a deep sense of idealism and integrity, but they aren’t idle dreamers – they take concrete steps to realize their goals and make a lasting impact.

Advocates stand up for what's right and fight for it

Advocates maybe reserved but they communicate in a way that is warm and sensitive and also that they value deep authentic relationships and make powerful impressions on people around them.

Advocates do not care about the cost of success they are so focussed on their ideas that they do not care much for themselves.

​​​​​​​3. Top 3 strenghts:

- Creative: Advocate personalities enjoy finding the perfect solution for the people they care about.

- Insightful: Advocates typically strive to move past appearances and get to the heart of things. This can give them an ability to understand people’s true motivations, feelings, and needs

- Passionate – Advocates can pursue their ideals with a single-mindedness that may catch others off guard.

Some people with Advocate personality were - Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, Mother Teresa and Marie Kondo.

mxmes December 30th, 2020

@beautifulSeal9714

These are some good strengths to have!

MyNameIsNicole December 17th, 2020

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please

INFJ-T

- I am a born leader.

​​​​​​- My energy comes from determination.

- I love intelluctual and philosophical conversations.

- I have the ability to do great things when I put my mind to it.

- I have a natural understanding of human beings and how they work.

- I am creative and determined.

​​​​​I have done the test before, but I did it again. Thank you for this lesson.

December 18th, 2020

@MyNameIsNicole

Those are good traits to. Have and I hope you will go far on cups.

Fergie12299 January 25th, 2021

@MyNameIsNicole

Thats Great that you I have the ability to do great things when I put my mind to it.

Have you set your mind to anything big lately ?

December 18th, 2020

1 Esfj-a

2 I already knew that stuff.

3 loyal I am always there for people.

strong sense of duty I would want to get everything I that I need to get done done.

good connecting with other

That it easy for me to get along with others

Sensitive and warnth
That I know how others are feeling.

strong practical skills

I get things done and not let my self fall behind.

SympatheticStrawberrySmoothie January 1st, 2021

@Colorfulcatsofhope

These sound like great qualities! The fact that you already knew some of them shows how well you know yourself, and that is a great thing!

cuteOrange213 December 18th, 2020

@GlenM

INFJ-T

I realised that it is easy for me to understand the emotions of someone although I have never gone through what they have gone through.

1. I love to stand up for what's right. I commonly use my strengths to uplift others and spread compasion.

2. I have a very goal oriented mindset as I would not allow myself to rest until I reach where I want to be.

3. I have a very creative mindset which always allows me to think outside of the box.

STRENGTHS WRITTEN FOR MY PERSONALITY :

Creative – Advocate personalities enjoy finding the perfect solution for the people they care about. To do this, they draw on their vivid imagination and their strong sense of compassion. This can make them excellent counselors and advisors.

Insightful – Advocates typically strive to move past appearances and get to the heart of things. This can give them an almost uncanny ability to understand people’s true motivations, feelings, and needs.

Principled – People with the Advocate personality type tend to have deeply held beliefs, and their conviction often shines through when they speak or write about subjects that matter to them. Advocates can be compelling and inspiring communicators, with their idealism persuading even the hardest of skeptics.

Passionate – Advocates can pursue their ideas with a single-mindedness that may catch others off guard. These personalities rarely settle for “good enough,” and their willingness to disrupt the status quo may not please everyone. That said, Advocates’ passion for their chosen cause is a key aspect of their personality.

Altruistic – Advocates generally aim to use their strengths for the greater good – they rarely enjoy succeeding at other people’s expense. They tend to think about how their actions affect others, and their goal is to behave in a way that will help the people around them and make the world a better place.

@cuteOrange213

Glad to know you learned a little something about yourself :0

Sticking up for someone is a brave act as well!

January 18th, 2021

@cuteOrange213

I really loved the creativity, principled, and passionate traits of advocate personality.heart Those are some amazing traits to have heart

JoeyTribbbiani December 23rd, 2020

@GlenM

1) TYPE

PROTAGONIST

ENFJ-T

2) THINGS I LEARNT

I learnt that I usually find it hard to stay focused and determined towards my goals and get distracted easily. I also learnt that my willingness to help others might end up compromising my own well-being since I become too selfless for my own good sometimes. I would like to work on these two traits and improve them.

3) STRENGTHS

-> Charismatic

-> Altruistic

-> Natural Leader

@JoeyTribbbiani

Isn't it great to learn things about yourself? It really makes you realize some things.

Glad to see you learned something as well, you have some great strengths there!

JoeyTribbbiani December 30th, 2020

haha @mxmes so true.

How you doin?

sunlightspirit February 2nd, 2021

@JoeyTribbbiani

Nice to meet another protagonist. You have great strengths to work with and admire.

Sunlightspirit

thelastiger December 23rd, 2020

Today I got INFJ Advocate. Learned that people of this type can find even constructive criticism deeply hurtful. Strengths include communicating, a desire for a better world, and a desire for deep friendships.

SympatheticStrawberrySmoothie December 28th, 2020

My personality type is INFJ-T

I learned many things about myself after taking this test! I learned that I am quite prone to burnouts, since I give a lot of myself in situations. I also learned that I want to have a sense of mission in my workplace, so I would be likely to do something quite practical and meaningful, which ties quite nicely with the fact that I want to be a doctor!

My strengths are:

Passionate - I care a lot about the things that are close to my heart, which is very true.

Insightful - I try to search for deeper meanings and connections and am able to understand people's feelings and needs!

Principled - I try to step up to the things I believe in and that I value!

Thanks for this really insightful activity!

specialSnow9454 January 3rd, 2021

@SympatheticStrawberrySmoothie So good traits to have.☺️

ouiCherie December 28th, 2020

Hi @GlenM

Here you go....

INFJ - A (Assertive Advocate)

It said this personality type is the rarest of all types. I haven't decided how to feel about this 😋

The rest of the results are things that i’m mostly already aware of including the weaknesses such as sensitive to criticism when it comes to issues that are near to hearts, perfectionism tendency and difficult to open up and be vulnerable about my struggles https://www.16personalities.com/infj-personality

Different between INFJ-A and INFJ-T:

https://www.16personalities.com/articles/assertive-advocate-infj-a-vs-turbulent-advocate-infj-t

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them

3 Strength based on the test:

Insightful – Advocates typically strive to move past appearances and get to the heart of things. This can give them an almost uncanny ability to understand people’s true motivations, feelings, and needs.

Passionate – Advocates can pursue their ideals with a single-mindedness that may catch others off guard. These personalities rarely settle for “good enough,” and their willingness to disrupt the status quo may not please everyone. That said, Advocates’ passion for their chosen cause is a key aspect of their personality.

Altruistic – Advocates generally aim to use their strengths for the greater good – they rarely enjoy succeeding at other people’s expense. They tend to think about how their actions affect others, and their goal is to behave in a way that will help the people around them and make the world a better place.

❊❊❊

What's yours? 😋

@ouiCherie

That sounds so cool! You sound like an amazing person! These traits are truly incredible! 7Cups is better for having you!

ouiCherie January 1st, 2021

@SympatheticStrawberrySmoothie

I'm lucky that i have a community full of kind, supportive and compassionate people like you Smoothie 🤗

Thank you for the kind words and friendly-warm reply ❤ Glad to be on the same batch with you!

See you around ❤

specialSnow9454 January 12th, 2021

@ouiCherie incredible personality

ouiCherie January 12th, 2021

@specialSnow9454

and so are you 💙

sunlightspirit February 2nd, 2021

@ouiCherie

I am an assertive protagonist and yet we share similar traits (alturistic). Your insightfulness is an amazing quality to have.

Sunlightspirit

iwishuwell December 29th, 2020

@GlenM

Mediator, INFP-T

- that I'm a very shy person and quiet but when it comes to the one's whom I know for a long time they know me as a crazy person

- I'm introverted yet extroverted you could say whenever I have the confidence I can make conversation with anyone but if I have no confidence I'm more reserved within me

Thoughtful – Mediators care about other people’s feelings. They adjust their actions if they think they might hurt anyone, even unintentionally. Kindheartedness flows from Mediator personalities, and everyone around them tends to benefit from it.

Generous – Mediators rarely enjoy succeeding at others’ expense. In general, people with this personality type want to share the good things in their lives. They value equality, and they want to ensure that every voice and perspective is heard.

Open-Minded – Mediators tend to give other people the benefit of the doubt. They aim to be tolerant of other people’s beliefs, lifestyles, and decisions. Generally speaking, Mediators support others’ right to live as they see fit – as long as no one is being hurt.

@iwishuwell So great ❤️❤️

@GlenM

Adventurer, ISFP-T

That I am very observant. I learned that there are many things that I don't realize I do.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them

Artistic, Charming, and Imaginative. I put my feelings within my singing and art, it often seems to connect with people (Artistic). I'm really laid back, and I seem to relate a lot to people which makes it easy to communicate (charming). My imagination is literally like the best part, I can picture how I want everything to go. My ideas are on a different note, and it helps me with a lot (imaginative).

Artistic – Adventurers are able to show their creativity in tangible ways and with stunning beauty. Whether writing a song, painting an emotion, or presenting a statistic in a graph, Adventurers have a way of visualizing things that resonates with their audience.

Charming – People with the Adventurer personality type are relaxed and warm, and their “live and let live” attitude naturally makes them likable and popular.

Imaginative – Being so aware of others’ emotions, Adventurer personalities use creativity and insight to craft bold ideas that speak to people’s hearts. While it’s hard to explain this quality on a resume, this vivid imagination and exploratory spirit help Adventurers in unexpected ways.

@mxmes

You sound like a great person to have around! These traits are awesome!

@mxmes You seem to be a great friend to have.<3

What is your personality type?

PROTAGONIST

ENFJ-A

What were the main things you learned about yourself?

I AM A BORN LEADER and I CARE.

What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test?

~FEEL PEOPLE'- can know how someone is feeling by looking at their face,(so great)

~PASSIONATE- Have a charisma and infectious enthusiasm.

~ Protagonists are GENUINE, CARING people who talk the talk and walk the walk, and nothing makes them happier than leading the charge, uniting and motivating their team with infectious enthusiasm

sunlightspirit February 3rd, 2021

@specialSnow9454

Like you I am a born leader who cares for others and wants to see other succeed. I like your saying about talk the talk, and walk the walk. I am also an ENFJ-A: very assertive, extroverted and intuitive. Nice to meet a fellow protagonist.

Sunlightspirit

Fergie12299 January 25th, 2021

@YourNeighbourhoodsuperhero

So you have taken the test befor and the results have been different each time. Thats amazing! have you been happy with the results after each test and is there any strengths you would like to see instead?

BellatheHappyHelper January 14th, 2021

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please.

ENFP-T however, I take this particular test every week and keep a spreadsheet of the changes and it changes almost everytime.

"a true free spirit. They are often the life of the party, but unlike types in the Explorer Role group, Campaigners are less interested in the sheer excitement and pleasure of the moment than they are in enjoying the social and emotional connections they make with others. Charming, independent, energetic and compassionate, the 7% of the population that they comprise can certainly be felt in any crowd."

Curious: want to go out and experience things, and don’t hesitate to step out of their comfort zone, imaginative and open-minded, seeing all things as part of a big, mysterious puzzle called life.s

Observant: believe that there are no irrelevant actions, that every shift in sentiment, every move and every idea is part of something bigger. To satisfy their curiosity, they try to notice all of these things, and to never miss a moment.

Energetic and Enthusiastic: As they observe, forming new connections and ideas, they won’t hold their tongues – they’re excited about their findings, and share them with anyone who’ll listen. This infectious enthusiasm has the dual benefit of giving Campaigners a chance to make more social connections, and of giving them a new source of information and experience, as they fit their new friends’ opinions into their existing ideas.

January 18th, 2021

@BellatheHappyHelper

Those are some amazing traits to have Bella. I loved the "true free spirit" part heart

January 18th, 2021

@GlenM

“Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

My Personality Type: Advocate INFJ-A (Introverted, Intuitive, Feeling, and Judging)

65% Introverted
"Introverted individuals prefer solitary activities and get exhausted by social interaction. They tend to be quite sensitive to external stimulation (e.g. sound, sight or smell) in general."

78% Intuitive
"Intuitive individuals are very imaginative, open-minded and curious. They prefer novelty to stability and focus on hidden meanings and future possibilities"

88% Feeling
"Feeling individuals are sensitive and emotionally expressive. They are more empathic and less competitive than thinking types, and focus on social harmony and cooperation."

60% Judging
"Judging individuals are decisive, thorough and highly organized. They value clarity, predictability and closure, preferring structure and planning to spontaneity."

60% Assertive
"Assertive individuals are self-assured, even-tempered and resistant to stress. They refuse to worry too much and do not push themselves too hard when it comes to achieving goals"

What I learned about myself?:
I learned that the career path I have chosen i.e. Psychologist + Image Consultant is perfect for me.
The second thing I learned is that my perfectionist trait has both negative and positives. Positive is that it push me more than my limits which helps me do the best I can at any job but, the negative is that I try to "fix" things to make them perfect like my relationships, also, it can cause lack of satisfaction. I used to think that my high sense of imagination was harmful for me but, I realized it is a really important trait for my career path.

3 strengths/ gifts according to the test:
~ Principled ~
I hold really strong and deep beliefs which makes an inspiring communicator.

~ Creative ~
This is really a gift. I really try my hardest and enjoy finding the best perfect solution for people. My imagination gives me a strong sense of compassion.

I used to hate my imaginative ability because it was so strong I used to lose myself while imagining myself in other's shoes or reading books. I had to stop reading story books because it used to leave a large impact on me. Likewise, I used to feel depressed for days because of the pain and sadness I used to feel while imagining the scenes. But, I began to realize that it is a good ability to empathize, understand, and support people. I am grateful to have this ability.

~ Passionate ~
Because of my passionate nature I can pursue my ideal goals. My personality type does not settle for "good enough" and people can find my willingness to change the norms, unpleasant.
It is true, I do not like to settle for "good enough" and I always to look forward to breaking the "typical standards". People do not like it but, I love this trait of mine.